Husqvarna Fuel Starvation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YZF1R

Mar 3, 2009
Southeastern PA
My Husky started acting up a couple weeks back. Leaning out, couldn't keep it running, etc. Thought it had a piece of dirt in the carb. (Tank vent OK.) Opened the jets way open while running it to pass the dirt, but it just wasn't reacting the way it should have to that. Opened the fuel tank, shook the weighted fuel filter to the opening to check it after dumping the fuel. Pulled on it lightly and it just fell off. The fuel line turned to mush. I could take what was left and roll it into a ball of mushy rubber between my fingers. I ordered a new line and installed it. Started right up, warmed it up and set the jets between making a few long hard cuts. Good as new.

I guess that's not bad for a 30 year old saw, but I never had that happen before. Someone else mentioned that the newer fuels may have hastened the problem.

Steve

I had the line crack where the in-tank filter connected so the filter fell off and sucked a bit of dirt into the carb. To keep it going until I could get it on the bench, I would unscrew the jet completely and stick the red tube of a WD-40 spray and flush it back.

In my case the line was still OK, I just had to cut a half inch off the end and stick the filter back on. Not bad for a 30 year old saw!

Ethanol is rotting lots of rubber and plastic. The new fuel line you got my be more resistant but try to get non-ethanol fuel or add the new blue Stabil to your gas.

Brian VT said:
Ethanol is rotting lots of rubber and plastic. The new fuel line you got my be more resistant but try to get non-ethanol fuel or add the new blue Stabil to your gas.

NEVER add stabil to your MIXED GAS AS IT WILL LEAN OUT YOUR MIX!!!!

LLigetfa: Partner was one of THE saws to have back in the day according to my brother. The saw I'm using is actually his. He bought it when he went to logging school in Maine. He said the only saws used were Partner, Stihl, or Husqvarna. He has always worked outdoors. Ended up doing work for Outward Bound, etc. Does snow and ice climbing in the Rockies.

Brian: Yes, I heard the ethanol was a problem. Didn't know there was a "blue" Stabil. I buy the quart so it lasts quite a while.

Taxidermist: I'm not doubting your word, but I have always used it in everything except the wife’s car. Weed eater, blower, saw, and all the 4 strokes. I do error on the rich side when mixing fuel and oil though. But I only do that because I jet a tiny bit leaner than most.

Steve

the original equipment replacement fuel line in your 162se DOES NOT like today's fuel,and thank god it's not still available (except for nos) the next thing that will render your 162se useless is the coating inside the fuel tank falling off and corrosion eating thru the tank and leaking fuel out. when this happens just put on a new (or used) plastic tank and you'll be good to go!......take care of her,she's a good'un and very hard to beat with the new stuff that's out there. the ones that had two thin ring piston's had a nasty habit of breaking the piston skirt off at high rpm's and grinding the broken skirt up into lot's of tiny pieces,and gagging the saw up. all that came into my shop with this problem,i split the crankcase and washed out the ground up skirt pieces.and the crank bearings.put in a new piston and put it back together. they all ran good and no spoiled cylinders!!!!!....can't say that for any other models! here's a pic of the piston,i think i did over 50-75 saws!.....on all other models,when the same thing happened.....it broke the cylinder.NOT THE 162!

brokenpiston004LargeWebview.jpg

A=162SE B= 181SE

fyrwoodguy: I noticed the new fuel line is not quite made to insert like the old one. I don't think it's NOS. Came from PartsTree. An amazing number of parts are still available, but I see they are starting to dwindle. Cylinder jug isn't available any more, at least not from them. I had ordered a new sprocket a couple years ago at a True Value. They ordered the 7 tooth. My brother had the eight tooth on it. I would like to go with the eight as the chain wouldn't have such a small radius to go around. (Still thinking of the dirt bike days. If you wanted to gear down, go about three teeth larger on the rear instead of one smaller on the countershaft. Less chain wear.) Also, the saw seemed to pull it just fine.

If I remember correctly, my brother said at the time it was the fastest saw in its class. I believe it was specked to run at 11,500rpm.

Also, thank you for the heads up on the fuel tank.

I hope she keeps on running. She'll scream when cutting yet sit there and idle as long as you want without loading up, then back to work again without complaint.

Steve

OK. Sounds good to me. I'll leave the 7t on it.

Thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.