HX questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ken999

Jan 3, 2009
Southern Adirondacks
I've chatted with a tech guy at CB about PEX sizing and HX for my new e 2300. We've come to the conclusion that I'll need 1 1/4" ThermoPEX and their 5 x 12-50 plate HX. He said the 70 plate would be overkill.

My question is...(forgot to ask him while I had him on the phone...), just what exactly is overkill? Too expensive to justify the gain? To my way of thinking (which is hardly ever right), the bigger the exchanger the quicker the transfer and better the efficiency.

Not that I'm worried about any of this, but I'd like to do things to the best of my means. Any suggestions or comments?

We figured around 90k BTU for my house and I'd like to add in some radiant in the garage floor when I get around to replacing it...maybe this summer. The 1 1/4" line should save me from running a second line when I get to doing the garage, so I'd like to get the most out of the 1 1/4" with the HX on the house side.

No exact answer IMO. E-bay 5 x 12 x 70 is about $340 and a 50 is $285. I guess I would go with the larger if you plan on expanding your heat load requirements.

I've been under the impression that some of the no brand, made in China hx on ebay aren't as good as a name brand like GEA, which are also on ebay at times, but for a lot more money. I don't really know, but have been told that.

Rick

I talked with an installer tonight. He rough quoted me $11-1200 to skip the HX and tie directly to my boiler. $2300 or so to go with a HX...

Now I'm really confused.

I understand that using the HX would allow my existing oil burner to function normally should the CB go out, but what other reasons are there for using a HX when I could plumb direct into my oil burner? Seems like one less transfer point would be more efficient, no?

e-bay hx's are not necessarily no-name. The one I bought off of e-bay was an API. Research as best you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.