I always wondered how they did that...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they come in black enamel?

It's not legal in mine either. I liked the seller's instructions on how he makes a burn barrel.

Matt

I have one in my back yard for just that purpose.

Would it work better to cut some holes in it around the sides at the bottom to allow air to enter down low, and then build the fire up on some sort of grate?

It would make it's own chimney that way.

-SF

I cut 1-1/4" holes about every 8" or so apart all along the bottom about an inch or 2 up from the bottom. Problem is, the ash & other incompletely burned stuff builds up just like in a stove and clogs the holes. I though about maybe a screen type grate about 1 foot from the bottom, then an access door to scoop the crap out.
I been playing around in my head with the set up of an old 250 gallon oil tank.welding a plate a few inches from the bottom a vertical channel up the back connected to the plate and making some sort of baffle system up near top. door on the front & a stack on top at the rear. Would be cool to have a trash burner with secondary burn ;)
I don't burn food, plastic or cans. mostly paper. Cept for those damn Styrofoam plate the OL buys. I keep telling her to get paper. She won't listen.

Okay- you guys have WAY too much time on your hands to be getting technical with a freaking BURN BARREL. I cut the top off my old 250 gallon fuel oil tank and nothing else- no holes, no cats, no grates, shelves, drawers, yo-yos or ball bearings. Have had it eight years..

brooktrout said:
Okay- you guys have WAY too much time on your hands to be getting technical with a freaking BURN BARREL. I cut the top off my old 250 gallon fuel oil tank and nothing else- no holes, no cats, no grates, shelves, drawers, yo-yos or ball bearings. Have had it eight years..

Ya, but you probably use a lot more trash to get the same amount of heat that the other guys do. And when you run out of trash in the middle of the winter we don't want to hear about how cold you're getting.

I think I'll just make this my home page, toss my laptop in the barrel, and it should burn all season :lol:

The air holes have to be fairly large to allow a good fast hot burn. Outdoor burning has been outlawed where I live now, but a friend some distance away made a ring of louvers around the base of his burn barrel about 3" high, the idea is to create a swirl. I've never seen it run but he says it's good.

stonehouse said:
c'mon guys,
everyone knows you need a rifle to make a proper burn barrel.
Thats how I made mine.
Yeah, I've got a few holes in mine from firing a few slugs with my Ithaca 12 gauge... :lol:

00 buck shot does the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.