I am a Newbie Here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrorMrsWiz

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2010
SouthEastern, Ohio
Hello to all. I have joined this forum and another to try to better educate my self. I was in the maket for a wood/coal burner and have looked around & bought a used stove. I read about many stoves and really had no Idea of the variations and numbers. My wife wanted a pretty stove & I wanted a good stove.

I needed a free standing type & was almost ready to buy a wonder-wood. I looked at some cylinder stoves, a Rite-way and ended up with a CDW 288 which I bought for $500. It has all original receipts from when purchased new & many accessories which are brand new in the box. + 6 feet of Stainless pipe. It was a beast to load, we used to steel pipes & a lot of grunting to get it on my trailer.

I want to educate myself to safely install, operate & get all the benefits from burning wood. I have an unlimited supply of free wood, and access to coal at $85 a ton. I am going tomorrow to talk with a guy about trading a car for more stainless pipe, another stove (custom built out of stainless steel , Troy bilt log splitter with Honda engine & Still saw. All to be in good working order.

Well to start have I made good decisions and any advice & recommendations will be reviewed....

Thanks

Post pics!
Sounds like you're doing ok..but I really don't have a clue..lol.

generally,using a home made stove in your living area isn,t the best idea,if thats what it,s for.of course,ive heard of worse....

The Consolidated DW is a cat stove - you may have done OK there, but the problem with a home built unit, no matter how well built - it is not UL or EPA listed in any way. Without any kind of documentation the install is gonna be a bear - if at all. At the very least you would have to maintain the minimum clearance to combustibles for a non listed stove ( 3ft from all sides at a min.) and I really doubt that you could get an inspector to sign off on it.

Now the log splitter and other stuff - very cool. We like pics. Take one of the stove for sure. There have been many posts on the CDW stoves that have included the good, the bad, and the ugly.

And welcome to the forum.

I wouldnt use anything home made in my house. Too many reasons to list. For burning coal, that 288 did a pretty good job. Make sure the chimney you got with it is 8". Back in the day when that stove was sold and used for coal all the time, I remember selling rocker (front and back) and the center bar grates like crazy. Some folks going thru them once per year. If you start burning coal hard core, you may want to find a source for the grates and stock up on them. If memory serves (going back 15-20 years here) I think you may want to buy a few back burn plates as well.

Thanks everyone. I will post pictures after this weekend when I get the stove in the house. Its dark when I get up & when I get home from work at the moment.

Deal fell thru on the trade; but I have located a home made spliter which is a beast....

I have considered using tile on the floor & walls around my stove any advice?

Welcome to the forum MrorMrsWiz.

You have listed a lot of things that you have or will be having but the only mention of fuel is the unlimited supply and the coal. Just a caution here: unlimited supply is worthless.....until it has been properly dried. The only way to do that is to cut it into firewood lengths, split the wood, stack it out in the wind.....and wait. How long to wait varies from a year to 3 years. Therefore, one of your first considerations needs to be the fuel. Be sure to get that fuel on hand ASAP.

Good luck.

Pictures

Attachments

• CDW Stove.jpg
    CDW Stove.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 199
Welcome to the clan! I picked up a Dutchwest last year for $550. It was completely taken appart and rebuilt with new cemented seams, gaskets and a new paint job. It is only about 7 years old. So far I like the way it works. The one you have is operated slightly different but some people around here love that stove. If the cat is in good shape and all the seams don't leake you could have a winner. If the cat needs to be replaced and the seams need to be recemmented you would have to spend a little more $ and have some work to do. Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Couple of questions?

I plan on setting stove on legs in a corner, I will be installing all new duct because I have no chimney (I tore it out of my 1913 home when I gutted it)
I have 9 foot ceilings and the walls are 1/2 in drywall, outside should clear soffit and go above roof easily at the far wets corner of my home.
I have all the teck manuals but I get confused when I read the Pipes Manuel???

Floor & wall spacing/ coverings any ideas?

Chimney DSP/ DVP double black or stainles or triple wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.