I am at a cross roads...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am hoping someone out there faced the same dilemma and can share your story and how it worked out. To give you perspective how on the edge I am - I told my wife last night that if someone called me today with a load of wood to sell, that I would buy it and go the wood route. But I keep going back to how easy it would be to set it and forget it, my only concern is that I dont want to go the pellet route and end up spending double the money to heat the house each winter...

I had a wood stove in my previous house and a pellet stove in my current house. I can't help with your primary concern of cost since I never switched stoves types in either house. But BTU's are BTU's, so the online calculators that others have mentioned should answer that question for you.

But the perspective I can offer is that my previous house was only 1300 sq.ft. and my current house is 3000 sq.ft. While I really loved the silence and ambiance of my wood stove, I couldn't handle the work needed to prepare that much wood for my current house.

And one other issue is that my wife was never able to start a wood fire. Believe me, I tried to teach her. But after filling the house with smoke a few times she was afraid of it. But with a pellet stove, she just hits the button. But there is still an issue because she is a very small woman and can't lift a 40 pound bag of pellets.

So if pricing is the only issue then an online calculator should be able to answer the question.

Marc

Reactions: bogieb
And one other issue is that my wife was never able to start a wood fire. Believe me, I tried to teach her. But after filling the house with smoke a few times she was afraid of it. But with a pellet stove, she just hits the button. But there is still an issue because she is a very small woman and can't lift a 40 pound bag of pellets.

Bucket and scoop.

Early on the op said the all-in cost of replacing the current insert with t h a bk is same as moving to a harman pellet stove. I believe that to be false. I was at a bk dealer this weekend and the princess model is a sub 2500$ stove with same venting as the lopi he has. Harman pellet stoves are silly expensive like 4000$ plus new venting.

My bk princess burns 24 hours straight as well. Not all wood burners are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.