I am new to the wood burning stove world

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
Hi to everyone who discovered this great way to heat your home before I did.

I recently bought a Jotul 400 wood burning stove. So far, I love it. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what the maximum temperature they can get this stove to is. After break-in, I found that the maximum temperature I achieved was about 500 degrees F. That's fine, but I am not sure if there is more potential for this stove or how to get there. I am told that 400 to 600 degrees is the acceptable operating temperature range.

Also, are there any comments regarding getting heat to other parts of the home? Registers maybe? I have fans going, but the heat tends to stay mostly in the first half of the lower level where the stove is (not unexpected). I would like to maximize the potential of this stove if possible.

Finally, I would like to operate the stove every day (during season, most evenings on weekdays and, potentially, all day on weekends). I am trying to estimate the approximate amount of wood I will need for the season in this area. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Art

Welcome aboard!! We love photos of stoves here. Could you post any of your setup. Ceiling fans in the stove room is the first thing to add right after the co2 and smoke detectors. Your stove operators manual will help with stove temps,if not call the factory teck support. At least 5 full cord for this winter.

The single wall portions of the stove (top, etc.) can usually be run hotter than that - you might find that this occurs somewhat naturally as the weather gets colder and the draft gets better. If it is black painted, then up to 750-800 should be fine. If enameled, maybe just a bit cooler....those would be the temps when the stove is on "high" and some really good wood is in it.

In other uses, it will run 400-600

Status
Not open for further replies.