I bought lousy wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burnham, it would probably be worth it to re-split the two cords you have and stack it. If you don't, it's not going to be ready next year either
Burnham, there are a few things you can do to help. This is one of them. The smaller the splits and the more air you allow between them, the quicker they will dry out. Keep the stack in as open, sunny and breezy area as possible. You might even try to build a simple solar kiln of some kind even if just temporary. Greenhouse grade plastic cover works well for that and lasts for several years in the sun, unlike the regular sheeting. Try stacking criss-cross to allow a better air flow, but it will take up more space. Keep the stacks top-covered, but open. Best to allow enough overlap all around to minimize the wind-blown rain getting in if you can.

A canopy style cover works well for that. Something like this: This is similar to what I built about 4 years ago and works very well and was easy to do. Be sure to use the best, heaviest grade material for it and it will last for years. The material used in this video looks too thin to me. You can adapt any similar design that comes to you.

I'm sure others here can offer similar suggestions for accelerating drying enough to help the process.

Last edited: