I don't know what changed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stallau

May 17, 2009
Southern ME
Looking for some thoughts on what might have changed with my stove. I have a Breckwell Big E and have been using Maine pellets all winter. I haven't been able to run it above two because it starts flaring up and shuts the stove off, so I've been running on it on 2 and having to empty the burn pot every day due to ash content. On Tuesday this week I loaded the stove up like usual. When I got home Wednesday the burn pot was still right down to the bottom and running well. I haven't had to empty the burn pot for four days now and it's currently running on 3 with the refreshing temps this weekend in Maine.

I did my usual weekly cleaning last Saturday but went through the usual routine of emptying it out every day until Tuesday. Any guesses? I'm almost afraid to turn it off and have to go back to the daily routine, it's nice just filling it every two or three days.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Did you accidently bump the damper rod adjustment? Or start a fresh ton of pellets?

If you are burning the MaineWoods product, They have gotten better with each new batch produced. I was impressed with there improvements from last year!

Well air flow is a fickle lady, the least little thing like a slightly ajar stove door that got properly latched, something stuck in a gasket got dislodged, an ash pan door that was loose is now tight, burn pot seating in its receptacle being correct, perhaps you got a bit more of the mess scraped out of your burn pot the last time, any one or all of the aforementioned.

you may have got a better seal when you last closed it up after cleaning. The last time I had some high ash and sloppy burn was when I didn't have the ash drawer fastened tightly.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I usually had to adjust the damper through the day to slow the amount of build up until I emptied it each day. I guess my best bet would be to check the door gasket since that's what would be opened and closed each day to empty the burn pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.