I don't like this one bit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Today, the second day of May. Temps in the low 90s depoint round 70, this $#!+ sucks!!!!!!!! I was running the wood stove on Thursday, and now four days later, I have my central air running. I just need to find a way to run my CA off of wood and I will be a happy man!

Hate the humidity, KC

C'mon out to Central Oregon. Plenty of room, no humidity (and no traffic). After 12 years in Northern Virginia, I gotta say that living here really is a breath of fresh air. I finally (after 10 years of retirement) feel as though I really am retired. We don't even have central A/C in our home, just a central electric furnace as a backup to the woodstove. When the house is too warm, we actually open up windows and let the nice dry air flow through. Rick

I'm with you OP - except I pulled the covers off my AC units, turned on the air and expected cold to start flowing only to feel well, air. Fuses (outside) and breaker (inside) are fine but the compressor outside simply isn't doing a thing. I'm afraid the clue to the issue may well be in the rather large number of what appear to be mouse dropping on and around the internals of the compressor. Sort of afraid to find out if indeed mice decided to chew through something critical.... anyway bottom line is that it got very warm in the house today - we had guests (12 including kids) here for dinner so had the kitchen running full tilt in the morning adding to the heat. At least nobody complained about being cold!

Our house heats up slowly, so round dinner, it's still pretty pleasant inside. Now, though, it's in the 80s inside, and 73 outside. May be time to install the whole house fan I got from Freecycle...

I also had the stove going on Wednesday..

Nineties and humid here today and hot with thunderstorms tonight. So much for a long pleasant spring. We had exactly one seventy degree day in between cold/ rainy/windy and hot and humid.

We're getting slammed again with another winter level storm... in May. Getting the candles out, winds are predicted to be strong and rain heavy. Nights in the low 40's. But we are grateful that at least the rains will not be as heavy as in Tenn.

Highs in the upper 50's Thursday and Friday so a few more fires for me.

BeGreen said:
We're getting slammed again with another winter level storm... in May. Getting the candles out, winds are predicted to be strong and rain heavy. Nights in the low 40's. But we are grateful that at least the rains will not be as heavy as in Tenn.

Lived here my whole life (33 years), and I've never seen anything like it. We're about 70 or 80 miles east of Nashville, so we were spared the brunt of the rain. It just camped and camped over Nashville. I have to go to Nashville four or five times a year on business trips. It's hard to imagine seeing places that you drive by and don't think a second thing about totally or almost totally submerged. I can only hope the various insurance companies work with people as much as they can so that everyone comes out okay.

iskiatomic said:
Today, the second day of May. Temps in the low 90s depoint round 70, this $#!+ sucks!!!!!!!! I was running the wood stove on Thursday, and now four days later, I have my central air running. I just need to find a way to run my CA off of wood and I will be a happy man!

Hate the humidity, KC

Hey there atomic skier, it is spring!

We had something similar when it froze 3 nights in a row followed by an 82 degree day. Yesterday in the 60's and today forecast in the 70's with more strong wind. We've had our share of wind this spring and I'll be happy when it is over with. But I will also be happy if the heating season has ended...but doubt that it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.