I found the limits of my woodstove this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP lil Century. Ya served well.

It was the little engine that could (almost)!

Bought somewhere around 05 at Lowe's for $242 out the door. It owes me nothing.

It'll go into storage until my friend runs the chimney to his basement and hooks it up. It'll serve again!

It was the little engine that could (almost)!

Bought somewhere around 05 at Lowe's for $242 out the door. It owes me nothing.

It'll go into storage until my friend runs the chimney to his basement and hooks it up. It'll serve again!

Looking to re-purpose my little Century before cold weather sets in as well (to the garage). Mine served well also. Plenty of heat but not enough burn time. Still a great stove to learn on. Good luck on the new unit.

It was a perfect stove to learn on. It was easy to light and very forgiving to set. If it was a bit larger, or I'd have had the forethought to have bought the mid size, I wouldn't have upgraded.

Mid day yesterday I got the call that the stove had arrived!

I immediately started calling around to borrow a trailer as they should be lower than my pickup bed. I could have picked one up, but realized that uhaul was made for occasions like this. I only wanted to get it into the cabin, but while drinking the beer mentioned earlier we decided to put it into place.

IMG_20160831_212433_zpsooywyxra.jpg

I need to clean some tape from the sheet metal. I had planned to paint it, but it dawned on me that paint is combustible. What says the brain trust on painted hearths? I doubt the paint would be much of a risk, but I've never seen it before.

Reactions: begreen
Snday night i started breaking it in with a bit of dry pine. This is going to be a great winter!

We have a strong south wind today so I decided to see what the stove would do with 70::F weather. Break-in fire #2 is well into secondary light off on low. this stove is awesome! The load is a few odd pieces of pine and the is fairly short. I honestly can't remember how tall it is.

Good to hear you're enjoying the new stove. Looks like it's time to update the signature.

I completed the final break-in last night. 60 degrees, a wind from the south to blow extra heat out of the cabin... a great end of summer night. I loaded the stove about half to 2/3 full of hardwood, and lit it off with a quarter Super Cedar. The paint should be completely cured now! Holy crap the cabin heated up! I had it running on low, but it wasn't really running low.

So, my observations...

The baffle ends further back on this stove. I got to observe the flame from the secondaries wrap around the baffle and head back toward the stove pipe. It spooked me at first, but if they are advertising it as a cook top it makes sense to have the flame reach around the baffle. Both of my other EPA non cats have the baffle end way up front where you can't see flames shoot past it.

The other is stack temp. I tossed my little magnetic thermometer on my single wall after I saw the flame wrap around. It quickly rose to 600+ degrees. I stopped watching it then as it confirmed my thought that a lot of heat was moving up that stack. I should have checked the stove top, but it didn't occur to me. Are high stack temps a common trait of this stove? It ddidn't apperar

Our stack temps will only get high if I don't turn down the air soon enough. Normally the stack temp (probe) is about 100ºF less than the stove top. Was the reading surface or probe temps?

Our stack temps will only get high if I don't turn down the air soon enough. Normally the stack temp (probe) is about 100ºF less than the stove top. Was the reading surface or probe temps?

It was surface about 6 inches higher than the coller. I never thought to measure the stove. I think I'm still a bit amazed how well this stove runs in warm weather and a short chimney.

Yes, PE stoves breathe easily. Surface stove pipe temp should be read ~18" above the stove top.

Last night I learned a bit more about the stove with 2/3 of a load fired at 9pm. 5am I woke up and had plenty of coals to reload. I raked all the coals forward and I threw on 3 splits. I started turning choking off the primary when the flames were dancing along the top and it dawned on me I'd just reloaded. I checked the time and all this was done within 10 minutes. This is going to be an awesome winter. I really like what this stove is doing.

When Tom Oyen's shop tested stoves (61 of them) the Super's firebox proved to be the burntime champ. The well insulated firebox that helps the fire get up to temp quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.