I guess this was a scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
During hunting season this year I kept seeing a bunch of maple rounds on the side of the road. After a week they were still there so I stopped and grabbed the easy ones. It appeared that a maple had fallen on a road sign, and got bucked up by a road crew when they fixed the sign. I got the four easy rounds.
freemaple.jpg

We took my dad's ride hunting a few days later and I made him pull over so I could grab the other two rounds. My total time was about 2 minutes to get 6 rounds and maybe 5 minutes to split them.

Pre-bucked, side of the road scrounges are pretty nice! Cheers!

It's 4 more rounds that you didnt have! Free, bucked, and side of road is a perfect scrounge. :)

I like the Bigleaf Maple wood out here. It burns great, and splits pretty easy too! I would have scrounged that too!

Oregon Bigfoot.

I have made tons of scrounges like that, and it adds up. I think those six rounds would last at least a day for me.

Wood Duck said:
I have made tons of scrounges like that, and it adds up. I think those six rounds would last at least a day for me.
I guess the trick is, try to scrounge enough on the weekends to last a week, even if its a week a year from now while it seasons. I have been scrounging a lot lately and on my way from work I have brought home about half a cord in 6 days. Its been easier this year to scrounge due to the bad storms earlier this year.
Nice score.

Any quick and easy score is a good one. Maple will always be welcome in our yard. They do add up! Good job.

It's not the size of the score . . . it's how you use it.

I don't think it matters if you scrounge, buy or process your wood . . . I know I always look at the tree I cut, the load I haul out, the wood I split up and the stacks I build in terms of "This tree should give me heat for X days", "This load of wood should give me heat for X days" and "This stack should last me X days of heating." It all adds up . . . even small scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.