I had to start a fire again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
It is 40 Degrees and raining here. I actually had to start a fire to take the chill and dampness out of the house. It has been raining a lot here lately. We had a few days of nice weather last week. I actually got the grass cut and the wife got the whole garden planted. I am sitting here watching the fire in the Super 27 while I look at my New Wood Gun boiler that is not hooked up yet. Oh well. Time will fly by and soon it will happen. The storage tank will be here tomorrow. That should be fun getting in the basement. Anyone else have to start a fire recently?

yup, i fired up again today...40 degree lows and no sun for passive solar. twelve hour burn should charge the slab for a day or two..

I'm going to need to fire up again too, though I was done for the season, Randy

Was hoping to just do a fire every 3 to 5 days, just for DHW. But firing every 2 1/2 days now. Wet cold weather. Did not get lawn mowed, going to have to use bushhog the first trip?

Short fire in the morning for the daily DHW...possibly another early evening depending on how much clothes washing the Mrs did and if shower(s) needed. Residual heat loss helps take the chill off.
Probably/hopefully will shut it down for the season soon if the rain and dampness will go away! I know people south of us have it MUCH worse then we do...but enough already!

Yep - in NE PA it has been warm and then cool alternatively. I also mowed the lawn twice (needs it again) but have needed a fire every 7-10 days. I am getting a 40+ degree rise in my GARN on a single load of silver maple in about 90 minutes (no load). That usually gets us through a couple of cool nights and days without much solar gain.

We never stopped but every three days has satisfied my hot water needs and a little heat. I will fire every other day till this weather leaves. 28 degrees tonight.

I have been getting good burns like Jim. Surprisingly with dead standing white pine that is somewhat punky but dry. I am pleased but surprised, normally I would have not wasted my time but I am able to drop them right next to the trailer and haul to the boiler room.

Sure do like this Garn!

I burned 1 1/2 loads yesterday. Mid winter is 3 loads. Frost tonight and one load. I had a stack of wood that is gone as of tomorrow and promised when this stack is done I'm done too. It's done now and still cold as can be.

LOL, and here I thought it was just cold and crappy weather here in the U.P. ! We are running daytime temps here 10-15 degrees colder than normal almost every day, and have been all spring. The leaves on the trees are just barely start to come out, some not at all yet. Might have to cut the grass by the weekend for the first time...unreal. And the forecast for the next 10 days does not include even a single day close to normal daytime temps, mostly 5-10 degrees below normal. Absolutely dreadful spring here so far, really sucks !

Pat53 said:
LOL, and here I thought it was just cold and crappy weather here in the U.P. ! We are running daytime temps here 10-15 degrees colder than normal almost every day, and have been all spring. The leaves on the trees are just barely start to come out, some not at all yet. Might have to cut the grass by the weekend for the first time...unreal. And the forecast for the next 10 days does not include even a single day close to normal daytime temps, mostly 5-10 degrees below normal. Absolutely dreadful spring here so far, really sucks !

Watch out over there Pat, bugs have arrived here big time! Sure takes the fun out of gathering firewood. :mad:

henfruit said:
I have mowed the lawn twice.The boiler is still working.

lol Friday will be my 7th cut, and Furnace still going.....What a winter and spring!

Sawyer said:
Pat53 said:

Watch out over there Pat, bugs have arrived here big time! Sure takes the fun out of gathering firewood. :mad:

Yeah, they are out here too, but only on days above 55F or so, and we ain't had many of those. I was working outside today for 4 hours and never saw a one. I ususually do my firwewood cutting and stacking in early morning this time of year before the little @&%$%'s come out.

Black flies have come and gone here, they were bad for a few days. Now the mosquitoes are out in full force. So much rain here in the last few weeks. Lots of them!

I've had a fire the past couple days and nights. Ran the lp furnace before I decided to go back to wood. The grounds a disaster too much rain. The farmers havent been able to plant fields and I have plenty of plants for the garden but it's too wet. Rain, rain, rain. Even though this winter and spring has been colder than last, we have used about the same amount as last year. It just needs to dry up a bit.

Gasifier said:
Black flies have come and gone here, they were bad for a few days. Now the mosquitoes are out in full force. So much rain here in the last few weeks. Lots of them!

So that's where they come from!

:cheese: Lots of pine trees + mix in hardwoods + lots of brush undergrowth + lot of rain = Lots of mosquitoes!

We are still running the Garn for DHW and for heat in the house two weeks ago it was 100 degrees and now it has been down in upper 30's at night so it has been nice to have heat in the house.

We are still running the Garn for DHW and for heat in the house two weeks ago it was 100 degrees and now it has been down in upper 30’s at night so it has been nice to have heat in the house.

We are just starting to get some warmer temperatures. And it has not rained here for more than 10 hours now! :exclaim: I can not wait until I get my Wood Gun and storage hooked up. I am 90% finished with the wife's complete bathroom/bedroom makeover project. Now she takes over to do the light sanding of mud on the sheetrock and then the painting. Then when that is done the floor guy will come in and bang out the two floors in a matter of four - six hours. He is fast and does excellent work.

Then we have to save some money to pay the boiler guys to install the new system. Wish I could do it myself. Probably be better to let them do it though.

Okay. Now it is back to normal here. Raining like a *#@%ard and lightening show to boot. Cooling down quick. Sorry, weather is getting to me here in Northern New York. Hope summer is not like spring. Farmers are going to have a rough go of it around here this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.