I have a 6.75" x 12" clay lined chimney. Will a 6" liner and perlite around it be enough? My inser

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regis

Oct 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 6.75" x 12", inside dimensions, clay lined chimney. Will a 6" liner and perlite around it be enough? My insert needs a 6" liner. I would insulate but it will not fit. It's an exterior chimney in Pittsburgh, PA, one story house, 15' chimney. I want to do it right but wrapping the pipe is not possible. Any help would be great... local companies want 1.5k to 2k to install a liner.

It depends if the existing flue is in good condition. If you have cracks or a deteriorating chimney, you'll need to use the wrap to prevent a house fire during a chimney fire.

I'd recommend ovalizing the liner so you can either wrap it or get more insulation poured around it. Would also make it easier to get through your flue. Here's a link on one way to ovalize a flex liner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIjcN8HqDo.

6 inches plus a 1/2 inches of insulation on each side spells a tight fit in a 6.75 chimney to me.

I agree that wrapping a 6 in pipe isn't going to work.

The other option is to use a 5.5 inch wrapped liner.

OR, if you clean the chimney well and the current chimney meets all other safety requirements, then I'd just install the 6 in liner and insulate w/ vermiculite or perlite or equivalent modern product.

pen

A six inch liner is six and a quarter inches outside diameter so your working room is pretty much gone before you even think about insulation. Just getting the bare liner down the chimney is gonna be a job. One little piece of mortar sticking out between tiles and it is all over.

Regis said:
A bare 6" liner fits fine.

So you already have the liner and have run it down the chimney?

My flue tiles were 7x11 on our chimney. I tried the paint can trick to see if a 6" flex liner would fit, nope. Then I decided to go with a 5.5" rigid liner. Glad I did because it almost didn't go. There was a slight offset in one of the tiles towards the bottom of the 32' chimney. I ended up using vermiculite for a blanket wouldn't fit. I didn't want to purchase a liner then not have it fit. With a 5.5" I don't have any problems with draft, or performance with the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.