I have a really awesome friend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
My wife's practically sister friend is the most generous person I know. She is thoughtful and amazing.

For my birthday...a Gransfors Bruk forest hatchet, small splitting axe, and large splitting axe. Holy crap. Jackpot.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a friend like that
jealous I am I am

Reactions: Cornflakes
Nice touch from an almost sister! Do you help around her house when a hand is needed or share some of that firewood? If so, it is a thank you for the extra hands & help ...

Nice touch from an almost sister! Do you help around her house when a hand is needed or share some of that firewood? If so, it is a thank you for the extra hands & help ...

Actually no... She lives 9 hours away and I rarely see her. She is just simply the most generous, caring, and loving person in the entire world. My wife turns 30 tomorrow, and her sister friend bought her an awesome gift each month of the year in honor of her 30th birthday. How crazy and awesome is that??

My wife's practically sister friend is the most generous person I know. She is thoughtful and amazing.

For my birthday...a Gransfors Bruk forest hatchet, small splitting axe, and large splitting axe. Holy crap. Jackpot.

View attachment 183478
I've been splitting with the GFB Large Splitting Axe for a few weeks. It is a beast. The right tools make splitting wood almost effortless and allow it to be nearly all enjoyment.

Congrats! I think if I was ever to buy another item from GFB it would be that hatchet. I've got a really great maul already or I'd opt for their splitting maul too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've been splitting with the GFB Large Splitting Axe for a few weeks. It is a beast. The right tools make splitting wood almost effortless and allow it to be nearly all enjoyment.

Congrats! I think if I was ever to buy another item from GFB it would be that hatchet. I've got a really great maul already or I'd opt for their splitting maul too.

Hey, the large splitting axe is not the splitting maul (with striking face), correct? I ponder getting the large splitting axe OR the splitting maul. Do you think you'd benefit from having something heavier, or is that large splitting axe more than enough. How does it handle tough knotty stuff?

Hey, the large splitting axe is not the splitting maul (with striking face), correct? I ponder getting the large splitting axe OR the splitting maul. Do you think you'd benefit from having something heavier, or is that large splitting axe more than enough. How does it handle tough knotty stuff?
I have found that it does pretty well with knotty stuff. I'm amazed because it really isn't a wide wedge at all, but still busts stuff apart. For smaller logs that are relatively straight grained it takes zero effort - they just fall apart.

For the big rounds I use a Stihl Pro Splitting Maul so no need for the GFB maul. The GFB maul & large splitting axe are definitely two different tools. I have used the large splitting axe on some bigger rounds too, but I own the maul for that purpose so generally defer to that tool. The GFB does well on large rounds. It might take a few more swings to get a bigger round in half. After that it gets easy.

Reactions: PA_Forester
I have found that it does pretty well with knotty stuff. I'm amazed because it really isn't a wide wedge at all, but still busts stuff apart. For smaller logs that are relatively straight grained it takes zero effort - they just fall apart.

For the big rounds I use a Stihl Pro Splitting Maul so no need for the GFB maul. The GFB maul & large splitting axe are definitely two different tools. I have used the large splitting axe on some bigger rounds too, but I own the maul for that purpose so generally defer to that tool. The GFB does well on large rounds. It might take a few more swings to get a bigger round in half. After that it gets easy.

Thanks for the advice and input. The Stihl Pro Splitting Maul is very well rated and I'll probably opt for one sometime soon. I think I'll pair it with the GFB large splitting axe, I'm glad to hear it does quite well. We have a local store that stocks GFB products, and it is nice to go in and look at a few side-by-side, picking the one that has just the right grain orientation in the handle.

Thanks for the advice and input. The Stihl Pro Splitting Maul is very well rated and I'll probably opt for one sometime soon. I think I'll pair it with the GFB large splitting axe, I'm glad to hear it does quite well. We have a local store that stocks GFB products, and it is nice to go in and look at a few side-by-side, picking the one that has just the right grain orientation in the handle.
The Stihl maul is worth every cent.

Make sure you post your thoughts on your GFB axes. Love to hear what you think and how they work for you.

Will do, I'd also like to get the splitting hatchet to use for making kindling. This isn't a small investment, of course, but it sure will be nice in the end. I'm hoping that a friend of my wife decides to buy me the lot just like the OP's.

Will do, I'd also like to get the splitting hatchet to use for making kindling. This isn't a small investment, of course, but it sure will be nice in the end. I'm hoping that a friend of my wife decides to buy me the lot just like the OP's.
While the initial investment may hurt a bit (price wise), if you are only buying that tool once (instead of multiples of a cheap version), I would think it is worth it. My daughter just got married and they are buying furniture for their house... she's willing to pay the bigger price tag for real wood furniture rather than MDF insides. As the furniture ages, real wood can be repaired or refinished but MDF usually has to be thrown away. Quality tools seem to run the same way...

Good tools are not inexpensive- sometimes something of a lessor grade will suffice depending on the demand for it. In an axe or maul best to go top of the heap

Wow, I wasn't getting notifications and hadn't logged in for a while.

I haven't had a chance to test them out yet but I just acquired some honey locusts so I will post a review sooner than later! These are def quality axes that I will pass on to my children!

Status
Not open for further replies.