I have a tree Quetion?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Is sugar maple the same as a swamp maple??

Thanks JW

Sugar Maple is Hard Maple, Swamp Maple is "Red Maple" because of its pretty red leaves in the Fall....but is on the softer side like Silver Maple and punks out pretty fast.
Old big swamp Maples can have a really good twist in the trunk and be a son of gun to split by hand......when cutting they ususally have a dark star pattern on the heartwood.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
Sugar Maple is Hard Maple, Swamp Maple is "Red Maple" because of its pretty red leaves in the Fall....but is on the softer side like Silver Maple and punks out pretty fast.

WoodButcher

Thank you woodbutcher.how can you tell the difference between sugar & swamp.

johnnywarm said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Just about every Swamp Maple I've cut into (except really young trees) has a red star pattern stained on the heartwood.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
johnnywarm said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Just about every Swamp Maple I've cut into (except really young trees) has a red star pattern stained on the heartwood.

WoodButcher

Thanks JW

Adios Pantalones said:
The leaves are very different. The sinuses between the points on the leaves are rounded with sugar maple and they are sharp with red maple as well as silver.

Thanks! Its not as easy(burning wood) as it looks.theres alot to learn and from here alot to learn from.great site.

JW

Red maple seems to have some regional variation. In the DC area it's a very popular yard tree, with a fairly distinctive scaly bark. There it's definitely a medium-dense wood at best, and a real pain to split. In the UP woods only the really big guys have that bark, the rest look identical to the sugar maples except for the leaves. I haven't been scientific about it but the wood density and ease of splitting seems to be near the same as sugar maples there.

Some of what people refer to as "red maple" in yards are actually Norway maple- which may have red leaves (not only in the fall). This is denser than true red maple. Then there are a number of crossbreeds and hybrids that people put in yards

there seems to be alot of maples lololol

Think that's bad? How many oaks are there? Methinks somewhere around 50!

Ya, but most either fall into "red" or "white". All of those black, turkey, overcup, pin, etc are "red oak". Then there's the ones with the weirder leaves like swamp oaks (white, I think), chinkapins, chestnut oak, live oak...

OK, scratch that- maybe there's like 50 different ones :)

johnnywarm said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

If you put a tap in a sugar maple at the end of Winter, you'll get something that tastes OK.
If you put a tap in a swamp maple you get swamp water that tastes a bit like last year's leaves.

billb3 said:
johnnywarm said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

If you put a tap in a sugar maple at the end of Winter, you'll get something that tastes OK.
If you put a tap in a swamp maple you get swamp water that tastes a bit like last year's leaves.

Theres one way

cmonSTART said:
You know what last year's leaves taste like??

Yes.
Accidently.

I can send you some if you feel left out.

I have about half of last years 5 acres of oak leaf clean up. I use them for mulch as they don't compost terribly readily, especially if kept dry.
I use a high powered vacumn system.
There are doors one should not open while the system is running or you get a facefull. :)

I also own a couple acres of swamp.
I have cut cedar for fence in the past.
I have fallen in.
Know how that tastes, too.
I can send you some nice tannin laden swamp water to try, too. :)

billb3 said:
cmonSTART said:
You know what last year's leaves taste like??

Yes.
Accidently.

I can send you some if you feel left out.

I have about half of last years 5 acres of oak leaf clean up. I use them for mulch as they don't compost terribly readily, especially if kept dry.
I use a high powered vacumn system.
There are doors one should not open while the system is running or you get a facefull. :)

I also own a couple acres of swamp.
I have cut cedar for fence in the past.
I have fallen in.
Know how that tastes, too.
I can send you some nice tannin laden swamp water to try, too. :)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL This Place is great!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

JW

do some of you guys work for the government?
because getting all worked up over what kind is it is kinda over complicating things.
as far as I am concerned wood falls into 2 main categories soft wood or hard wood, with 2 subcategories seasoned and green.
If if is dry and stove length it is fire wood :)

I like levity.

JUST DON"T MESS WITH MY STOVE.

crazy_dan said:
do some of you guys work for the government?
because getting all worked up over what kind is it is kinda over complicating things.

Word - engineers...

Status
Not open for further replies.