I hope black walnut splits...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sledhead00

Oct 28, 2012
WNY
As easy as many of the posts on here seem to imply.. because I don't have a splitter or a saw (yet, this should speed it up)and I just got a mother load of free wood...
A neighbor to my grandfather had one hit by lightning and was taking it down. My gpa told them I burn so they said they'd give it to me! I was told they were splitting it to, double score I thought!!
I just got a chance to check out what was delivered and... holy geebus I guess we had different definitions of what splitting is. I'd guess 50-60% is bucked to length and small enough rounds to not need to split but everything else... going to be some work here!
For me this has got to be at least a full years worth of wood if I were to burn nothing but this stuff.. this combined with the past 2 relatively easy winters will put me well over the 3 yr ahead plan... now to figure out where I'm going to put it..
Edit: I'd be curious to hear how many face cord some of you think is there... I seem to burn 10-11 face cord a year.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 506
That's a great pile of Walnut. It splits pretty easily. I don't have a splitter and use a splitting ax or maul for everything. Splitting is the fun part, if you ask me.

it splits pretty easily.. as long as you don't hit nails buried in it.... :)

looks like you have your next few workouts planned :)

If any of that stuff doesn't cooperate and you aren't in a hurry, wait for temps go below 15F. The colder the better for splitting those crotchety pieces. Mostly (90%) of my splitting is done in the coldest part of winter and more recently using a Fiskars, in the bad old days it was maul and wedges. I suppose if I had a hydraulic splitter it wouldn't matter as much.

Big rounds of walnut split easier taking it off all the white sides first until you're down to the nice solid chunk of dark brown( heartwood) then split that down the center for great burning wood. I have about 30 Black walnut on my property. I hate the walnut pickup every year. The leaves come late and fall early. Not much good about them. I've cut and split a bunch in my day.

Don't you love it when someone who doesn't burn wood cuts it for you? There's 10" peices and 48" peices. Splitting easy, it's just brute force. Stacking it and it standing all three years with mis matched sizes. Ugh good luck with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lone_Gun
It doesn't split too bad but has a bit of an odor to it.