I hope everyone here understands this.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
speedoboy31 said:
just did the math---25pdvc=42,000 btu rating(according to lowes)--so 42000x24hrs=1008000. that divided by 5000btu/lb=201.6-lbs per day divided by 40lb bags =5.04 bags per day on max. wow, i couldn't imagine my little stove being able to swallow that many pellets a day;how the hell would i be able to supply it with enough air? the most i've ever burnt was just over 2 bags in a day.guess my stove is more like <20k btu's. usually,it goes 1-1.5 per day depending on temp. by the way,@269/ton//5.38 per bag; and 5.04 bags per day, that would be $27.12 per day or $813.46 per month----holy crap!!!!!!!
Unless you are heating at VERY Large area you will not use the stove at full feed 24 hours a day.

My Omega is 60k btu but I run it on #3 out of 6 on a on and off stat. it has been a Warm year so far so I have only used 25 bags so far Last year about 60 bags by this time.

Another Example.
My LPG furnace is 79k BTU but if I was to use it The Burner would not be on all the time only when needed a few minutes at a time.
other wise it would use. about 3/4 of a gallon of LPG per hour at $3 per gallon.

Extending Rod's thoughts using an auto analogy, if you have a 500HP motor and it will propel you at 125 miles an hour as top rating. This doesn't mean you drive it at those speeds or use all the HP all the time. All auto engineers I have known say, it takes so much energy to move an object from one point to another. You use more fuel if you do it at high speed, because of factors that diminish the efficiency, but at the end of the day, it all takes X amount of fuel.

I run my stove at a 2-3 setting on a scale of 8 and have never had it all the way up. This is not like an instant heater that you push a button and it bathes the rooms in heat, but once it is built it will sustain that heat.

speedoboy31 said:
just did the math---25pdvc=42,000 btu rating(according to lowes)--so 42000x24hrs=1008000. that divided by 5000btu/lb=201.6-lbs per day divided by 40lb bags =5.04 bags per day on max. wow, i couldn't imagine my little stove being able to swallow that many pellets a day;how the hell would i be able to supply it with enough air? the most i've ever burnt was just over 2 bags in a day.guess my stove is more like <20k btu's. usually,it goes 1-1.5 per day depending on temp. by the way,@269/ton//5.38 per bag; and 5.04 bags per day, that would be $27.12 per day or $813.46 per month----holy crap!!!!!!!

Actually you have a bit of the math wrong. That 42,000 BTU figure is the firing rate or input and the BTU content of a pound of pellets is 8200 nominal so the firing rate of 42,000 BTU per hr divided by 8,200 BTU per pound gives you your pounds per hr burn rate or 5.12 pounds per hour which is 123 pounds per day or a bit over 3 bags per day. The 5000 BTU per pound figure is at the hot air exit or in other words the net heat output. The stoves are all rated at their burn rate which is gross input.

i stand corrected. i was using the wrong end of the stove for btu/lb. i was actually just figuring out the extreme case based on the figures quoted above. 3 bags per 24hr period seems a little more realistic for my englander to be able to swallow. still the mothly heating cost if run full blast would be outrageous.

speedoboy31 said:
i stand corrected. i was using the wrong end of the stove for btu/lb. i was actually just figuring out the extreme case based on the figures quoted above. 3 bags per 24hr period seems a little more realistic for my englander to be able to swallow. still the mothly heating cost if run full blast would be outrageous.

Yes and unless you have a large or poorly insulated house it is likely to be a little hot in the room where the stove is.

i 100% agree, i was just computing the eeeeextreme case. thanks for correcting me on the btu's, i was thinking that there was no way my 25pdvc could possibly burn through 5 bags in 1 day. that just drew images of pellets half burnt, sticking to the glass and filling the ash collection area. definitely makes more sense when corrected with your figures. thanks

BUT one thing people forget is the heat transfer ... some stoves do better than others... i used to have a envirofire... it lasted a couple of weeks... took it back for a p61 ... what a difference dont know if it was fans or what but set on a bag a day it warmed my house a lot better.... dunno

And look what I started, HeHeHE Happy New Year everyone

Eric

jtakeman said:
macman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Eric - Pellet Pig VP (aka troublemaker!) LOL

Yep! He sure is. He must be slowing down some if he can come and play a little?

Actually business is steady but I pinched my Sciatic Nerve and under Doctors orders I am staying out of the warehouse. I am waiting on an MRI since this is the second time since March. It hurts.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
jtakeman said:
macman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Actually business is steady but I pinched my Sciatic Nerve and under Doctors orders I am staying out of the warehouse. I am waiting on an MRI since this is the second time since March. It hurts.

Eric
Eric, good luck with your MRI.....i know how ya feel with that back pain, I had a double fusion 18 months ago....hope it comes back ok for ya

kinsman stoves said:
jtakeman said:
macman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Eric

Ouch, Sounds painful. Hope everything goes OK. Got to get one of them fancy recliners(with massage) and watch someone else work for a while.

jay

This guy is wanting to upgrade to a "higher" dollar stove and is wanting to skimp on pellets with his current one...yeah thats makes sense.
My theroy...if it ain't warm enough set that sucker on high and let it eat!!!

It's kinda like buying a Corvete and putting re-treads on it

"Actually business is steady but I pinched my Sciatic Nerve and under Doctors orders I am staying out of the warehouse. I am waiting on an MRI since this is the second time since March. It hurts."

Ouch, I'll bet it does.

Now do what the doctor says to do and stay away from any heavy lifting. Macman will take care of lifting the brews in your back room fridge just to be a nice guy :) .

SmokeyTheBear said:
....Macman will take care of lifting the brews in your back room fridge just to be a nice guy :) .

For Eric, anything......wish I lived closer and really would help him out any way I could.....Eric is one of the truly "good guys" on this forum.

Eric, I guess I get it ? 2 pounds per hour is about what I run my stove.I guess the trick is keeping the btus you make in the house for as long as you can.In my case some days I loose them as fast as there made.insulation is a much bigger factor with a pellet stove vs. a wood stove. I think the guy who invented pellet stoves owns a insulation factory? my basement walls are big heat losses !!!!!anyway what about the radiant factor with bigger pellet stoves?? So size doesn't matter???

Status
Not open for further replies.