Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by BJN644, Jul 17, 2008.
Here's the headlines from todays local newspaper.
Helpful Sponsor Ads!
I just spoke with my dealer yesterday and they have my Harman stove there with my name on it. They are going to be calling me for the install date soon. I was on a waiting list with a deposit the first week in June. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I live in MA, but I have heard there is a high demand for stoves in Maine. Good luck to all others that have orders for Harman stoves.
"Known for being ultraefficient and relatively easy to install, pellet stoves, which run on compressed wood pellets, could pay for themselves in just one heating season, dealers have said."
If their sales force is spouting this type of trash, they somewhat deserve the situation they are in.
Figuring $4,000 for the unit and installation plus another $1000 for pellets, you "break even" at $5.00/gallon and 1,000 gallons of oil. Oil would have to be $10/gallon to pay for the unit in a single season.
I figure it's more like a 3-4 year payoff, but you don't put in a pellet stove just for the money savings (it's not there initially, but will be in the long run). Part of the reason to put in a pellet stove is to have an ALTERNATIVE to burning oil. I like knowing that I'm buring less foreign fuel, my heat is coming from a renewable resource and one that's made locally (so helping the local economy to boot).
selco on lisbon st in lewiston sells napoleon stoves and inserts
from what i see no one knows that they sell them yet, they have plenty in stock
This really stinks. I feel badly for people that believed they would get a stove at the beginning of this heating season.
I wonder if we'll see a lot of pellets for sale on craigslist.
I'm another one of those who put a deposit on a Harmon P68 and also bought 4 tons of pellets. I've looked into the Quadrafire Mount Vernon, only to be told that no one knows if, or when, more stoves will arrive.
So, what now? Anyone know of Quadrafire's production capacity versus Harmon's?
Bad for the dealers but probably good for the other
stove mfg's. If I were one that had been let down
I'd now be looking to Lowes/Home Depot on an eta for
the Englanders. ;-)
I am in the same boat, odered a P68 early June but sounds like my Sept delivery/install is now moot. Sucks because I just got 5 tons of pellets delivered.
Guess my two choices are to cancel the order and get my deposit back or wait it out and hope for the best. Worst case get the stove next year.
In any case guess I will have more cash to invest in some more insualtion and storm doors and window treatments and use the leftover for oil. Glad I added more to my attic this spring.
I am curious how Harman will allocate, I would hope it would be based on order date.
gonna have to call today to confirm my order/delivery date... putting $1,000 down as a deposit back in the begining of June, I best be seeing that stove when they told me!!
Some people here have already mentioned going to Englander. How are they as a stove? I've never really heard of them. I never considered going to either Lowe's or Home Depot, as they're both known for selling lower quality goods. Not to say that Englander is a low quality product.
Just called the dealer we ordered from and they have not heard from Harmon yet.
Is this good or bad??
We are #5 on a list of 25 waiting for a P61A.
I am not in panic mode but would like to know if I should order another brand etc etc.
Our pellets are supposed to be in next month.
The good news is that there is no snow in the forecast for the rest of the month!!
It would be hard to say, since I we have no clue how many stoves Harman can produce in 1 year.
I will bet many people will cancel if they cant get a stove until next spring, they will need the deposit back for another stove if they can find one from another manufacturer or to buy oil for the upcoming winter.
This sounds like it is out of the dealers control and maybe Harmans too since I doubt they could produce what was odered. However they should have cut off the dealers sooner once the numbers coming in overcame their ability to meet the demand. They could have told the dealers to not accept deposits at that point until it became more clear to them what the demand was.
Of course that story is in the Kennebeck Journal (good for mostly fishwrap) who blows everything out of proportion so who knows what the real situation is. I mean some people on here who ordered late May are now receiving their stoves, so go figure.
I ordered a Harmon insert the first week of June also and I was just told this morning that IF I am lucky, I should see the stove in September. In the meantime I have 4 tons of pellets coming next week.
Doesn't the same compnay own Harmon and Quardra Fire now?
Yes, they may have more of a profit margin selling Quads. Makes you wonder ..... poison pill.
After reading this post, I called my dealer. I ordered a P68 at the beginning of June. Stopped in to see them 6/26 and was told there was an estimated delivery of mid July with an August install. I called today, and I got one of those, let me call you back...They did call back and I was told there was a dealer meeting with Harmon on Monday and Tuesday, and they would let me know after they get more info then. I am not optimistic and the guy didn't offer any encouragement. I paid an $1100 down payment, have 3 tons of pellets in my basement, bought the trim kit for my model and a hearth. My inclination is to just wait for the Harmon, even if it's March. It's a big investment, and I want to be happy with my stove since I plan on having it for quite some time. I also bought it from a local dealer who can service the stove since my husband and I have no skills when it comes to this stuff. I am just very depressed......
I do not want to be so naive to say I saw this coming, but I had a dealer cancel on me out of the blue back in late June. This was after he had spent half an hour bragging bout ordering a massive volume of stoves, but could not give me a delivery date. After he abruptly canceled on me, I was left hanging and had to search elsewhere for a stove (whcih I have yet to receive - I am told end of September - yikes???).
The part that bothered me in the whole process was how the dealer seemed like he could not wait to cancel y order. I am not sure if he wanted to sell my stove at a higher price since prices went up, or he was getting some early vibes from stove manufactureres. It was not a Harman stove that I ordered, but he "supposedly" is a noted Harman deler.
Anyway, best of luck to all.
Let's hope this issue is only specific to Harman.
I find it curious that many stove shops who only would sell 100 stoves or so in a year were selling 150 in a month yet never anticpated any problems.
Somebay there should be from fact finding to see how many orders were actually placed for Harman stoves.
I do not have any godd reference numbers for Harman's production capcaity, but it seems that the stove orders had increased almost an order of magnitude and somebody should have know this was going to become and issue.
That is why I wonder if Harman is the only manufacturer or if there are others to follow.
Paid for a xxv the 3rd week of may and am now hearing from the dealer that I must wait until 7/24 to get an clue as to if we will recieve it this year or not. Called Harman and was told June 2009. Think is time to explor other options!
I got the raw deal from Harmon and now I am looking at an Englander. Can I vent a 25-pdv directly into a masonry chimney or do I need a liner?
The bottom line is if you dont find a dealer that has your harman in stock (Good Luck), or the dealer has the stove on order previous to when you walked in the door and said you wanted it . Then You are not going to get a Harman stove till June 09. You might get lucky and find that dealer that allready has some on order, and might have a spot on there waiting list for you. But any new orders to Harman JUNE 09.
Separate names with a comma.