I know I don't know chit, so I'm asking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be surprised on the weight. The rounds I had were about the same and it took two of us to roll them up a ramp. IMHO very heavy!! Like hurt your back heavy.

I had some 30" diameter ash rounds a few weeks ago. If the bed of the trailer wasn't low enough that I get away with the flip technique, I wouldn't have been able to do it myself. Usually anything that big gets noodled.

Solar, that is a nice pile of wood. I do hope you are able to cut down on how much you burn.

The potential is there Dennis, we'll see how big of an impact it has. 1" foam board, fresh tyvek and siding is going up this fall. The windows will also get installed with more than just 4 screws and a little bit of fiberglass around them like they have been the past few years. With the high winds we get, 3/4 ply with fiberglass between the 2x6 studs only does so much to keep the cold air out and the heat in. Next year we should be ready for foam in the walls and maybe even drywall. If it gets me down to 5 cord a year or so, I'll be 5 years ahead :) Then, I'll need a new hobby.

SolarAndWood said:
I had some 30" diameter ash rounds a few weeks ago. If the bed of the trailer wasn't low enough that I get away with the flip technique, I wouldn't have been able to do it myself. Usually anything that big gets noodled.

I was also loading some large ash rounds into my truck and could not have done it without my small front end loader. Now I get to see how hand splitting those monsters goes this weekend. I knew they would be heavy but thought 2 of us could lift them(30" diameter X 20" long)....not! As mentioned, put some cottonwood next to the ash and it's easy to tell apart. I have a HUGE cottonwood in my yard that the roots are starting to become a real PITA.....if it were better firewood it would be down by now! Must admit though, it does make a good shade tree in the summer.

Here's pic's of what I had last year split. The pro said elm, what do you guys think? Elm or Cottonwood? I believe this one was one of the easier to split. Most where just horrible to split, strung together.

Attachments

• barkelm.jpg
    barkelm.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 176
  • elmorcotton.jpg
    elmorcotton.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 197
Not sure but is that beech in the back right?

zap

That looks more like cotton wood to me than elm. I hope to be taking pictures here in a few minutes.

SolarAndWood said:
The potential is there Dennis, we'll see how big of an impact it has. 1" foam board, fresh tyvek and siding is going up this fall. The windows will also get installed with more than just 4 screws and a little bit of fiberglass around them like they have been the past few years. With the high winds we get, 3/4 ply with fiberglass between the 2x6 studs only does so much to keep the cold air out and the heat in. Next year we should be ready for foam in the walls and maybe even drywall. If it gets me down to 5 cord a year or so, I'll be 5 years ahead :) Then, I'll need a new hobby.

That definitely should cut down on the drafts. We're doing something similar and going with blown in foam along with a few new windows. It should help. Good luck to you. Hey, 5 years ahead and you are about up to where we are.

Beetle-Kill said:
That'd be great if you could. I won't know how to tell the differences in bark from one or the other. Any special coloration in the wood itself that would allow me to tell them apart? Supposedly it's all cut into "managable" size, whatever that means.
Here are three different trees can you tell what they are, easy ones for most of yu I'm sure.

Attachments

• P10002842.jpg
    P10002842.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 145
  • P10002852.jpg
    P10002852.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 137
  • P10002832.jpg
    P10002832.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 133
Thanks for the pic.s. Remember, I'm the guy without a clue, but I'd say upper left is Elm, right is Ash, and lower is cottonwood? Am i even close?

Sorry I have no elm to take pictures (dutch elm)
Left one-Green Ash
Center- cotton wood
right one- white-ash

Do you see the paper layer under the bark in ckarotka's pics? that is one of the clues to cottonwood I see. Also the bark is much thicker and fluffier than ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.