I know its a Jotul, but Dont know the Model??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
jgjp6g.jpg

Hi Guys~

My brother found this on Craigslist and we are trying to figure out some specs on it. He has a 1700sqft house and is looking for a stove that will be his primary heat source. It'd be great if someone could tell me the model of this Jotul that way I can figure out if it will be able to do the job for him. Thanks in advance.

Looks like the older cat model F-600

Yeah, I agree Jotul Firelight 12, plenty of heating power but the cat models did not get great reviews and parts are harder and harder to find. However, it is an old model of their top of the line stove! I've seen these go for as little as $400 but I would not pay more than 600-700 even if the cat is in great condition just because of parts availability. When purchasing a cat stove always consider the fact that you'll most likely need a new cat, unless you look at it your self and determine that it is new or newer. The foot pedal opens the top loading door, which is a nice feature.

Thanks Chris, how exactly do you know its a cat model and how can I inspect it? I think the asking price for this stove is around $675. I found some literature, but it appears to be on newer F600's. Thanks again.

If you search around hard enough you'll find exploded parts diagrams and you can get acquainted with the stove's insides before you go and look. Then you could possibly open up and check the cat yourself to see if it is in good condition. Talk to the seller and get a model number and go from there. Also specify that you'd like to personally see the cat before you purchase the stove. If the owner is serious about the asking price they should be able to show you the cat and that it's in good shape. Otherwise, go to the nearest dealer and ask the price of a brand new cat and have the seller take it off the top, if they are not willing to show you the cat or don't know how to get to it. If that is the case then they have never replaced it, which probably means you'll need one anyway.

So:

Contact seller and ask about the model number, and manufacture date. This will help you deterrmine what this stove really is. This info is somewhere in the back of the stove.
Search on here about the specific model you're looking at.
Research the price of the cat that goes with it (if it is a cat, from the look of the picture it is.)
Ask seller if it is a catalytic stove or when the catalyst was last replaced, if they say anything but I replaced it last year it probably needs a cat!
Ask the seller to personally see the cat before you make the purchase, this is a part that will cost quite a bit of money and the owner should understand.

Thanks again Chris! I think that even if it is in good shape, it may be to big for 1700sqft... thoughts?

tbuff said:
Thanks again Chris! I think that even if it is in good shape, it may be to big for 1700sqft... thoughts?

I disagree with that.

Thanks Browing.. Any insight as to why you disagree would be great.

tbuff said:

1700 sq ft of heating space is not small. Square footage capacity is over stated on most stove specs. Oversize a bit is far better than under sizing. Most threads here complaining rarely complain about too much heat. Additionally, it is a cat stove that can be burned more easily at a lower temp, if needed.

BrowningBAR said:
tbuff said:

1700 sq ft of heating space is not small. Square footage capacity is over stated on most stove specs. Oversize a bit is far better than under sizing. Most threads here complaining rarely complain about too much heat. Additionally, it is a cat stove that can be burned more easily at a lower temp, if needed.
+1.

I corrected the one of the posts it's not the F600 but the old Firelight 12!

So after speaking with the seller, I found out that the cat went bad a few years ago, but he removed it and ran it since then without it?? As you can see, I know nothing about cat stoves.

tbuff said:
So after speaking with the seller, I found out that the cat went bad a few years ago, but he removed it and ran it since then without it?? As you can see, I know nothing about cat stoves.

You can run it without the cat, but it makes it a hell of a lot less efficient.

It always amazes me when people spend $2000-$3000 on a stove and then not do the minimal maintenance to keep it working properly.

I agree, I baby my stove and I dont think my brother is going to get this stove. Love the stove but not 100% keen on not using it as designed.

tbuff said:
I agree, I baby my stove and I dont think my brother is going to get this stove. Love the stove but not 100% keen on not using it as designed.

You can buy another cat for it. The current owner is just lazy or dumb.

I would buy another cat from the woodstove store I bought my stove from (He is a Jotul Dealer as well) but the seller is unwilling to even drop the price $50, he thinks he has a one of a kind stove..

tbuff said:
I would buy another cat from the woodstove store I bought my stove from (He is a Jotul Dealer as well) but the seller is unwilling to even drop the price $50, he thinks he has a one of a kind stove..

Oh, a dbag seller. Move along.

BrowningBAR said:
tbuff said:

Oh, a dbag seller. Move along.

I agree 100%, you should move along. If he's unwilling to move the price it is WAAAYYY!!! overpriced for a cat stove without a cat. Who knows what other neglect the thing has been through? Other parts could be broken from lack of maintenance as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.