I know its been covered..but still confused...FANS!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolves-Lower

Oct 26, 2007
Northeastern Iowa
Ok, I did a thread search and got some info, but I still need some input.
Big living room where the stove is located, small narrow hallway that goes to kitchen that is at the North side of the house.
Problem...Summer-Winter rooms.
While it is summer in the stove room a quick jaunt down the hall leaves you very chilly.
I have tried to address this before by installing a vent in the stove room at the peak, (a catherdral ceiling), and having a inline duct blow across the attic, in insulated duct, to the Cold room kitchen. In the kitchen it dishcharges at the peak and a ceiling fan blows the air down.
Of course it is still cold.
So I bought hallway corner fans (2)http://www.gascoals.net/Accessories/DoorwayFan/tabid/1187/Default.aspx

Should these blow the cold from kitchen air into the stove room?
OR
Hot air from stove room to cold kitchen?

Or should I just have a sweater in the hallway and put it on before I go make bacon?
Gray

try to move the cold air to the stove. nice and low near the floor. the ceiling hight in the hall way could be the killer, is it lowered and flat? if so what is above ita? is the ridge in the living room the same as the one in the kitchen. if posible a powered return to the stove with a nice high pasive route for the warm air would be best.

Yes, move the cooler air into the warmer room. Natural draft will take care of it from there.

Wolves-Lower said:
I have tried to address this before by installing a vent in the stove room at the peak, (a catherdral ceiling), and having a inline duct blow across the attic, in insulated duct, to the Cold room kitchen. In the kitchen it dishcharges at the peak and a ceiling fan blows the air down.

Gray

First let me state I am not an expert and I have no direct experience on this, but I would like to see you reverse the direction of flow in the duct, and report back with the results.
My logic is that many here have stated that the cold air is easier to move with fans. If you reverse the air direction you would be drawing the cold air from the kitchen, into the stove room, and that should give a pressure difference to force the hot air down the hallway.
Good luck, and if you should choose to be the guinea pig for this experiment, “thank you”.

try this :
stand in a doorway leading from the room the stove is located in,holding a lit candle.

first hold the candle up high in the doorway ,and observe the flame. it should lean away from the heated room. then lower the candle towards the floor and again observe, the flame wil lean towards the stove. this is a natural convection current and this current once generated is what distributes the heat around the house.assisting this current with either doorway fans or a small fan sitting on the floor is not hard to do, but the misconceptions are usually in which way to blow the air.

a floor fan blowing away from a stove is a bad idea, as being on the floor you are blowing against the current of cool air moving to the stove.

ceiling fans can work with or against depending on rotation as well as siting. if out in front of the stove they should be pulling up , this will tend to move air across the ceiling to help it push down halls and into adjacent rooms

a ceiling fan in a non heated room if running should be pushing down however , to assist in pushing cooler air out near the floor and drawing warmer air in from up high.

doorway fans should be placed high and pointed away from the stove, pulling heated air out of the room with the stove, and floor fans should be low and aimed therefore at the stove

hope this helps :)

stoveguy2esw said:
try this :
stand in a doorway leading from the room the stove is located in,holding a lit candle.

first hold the candle up high in the doorway ,and observe the flame. it should lean away from the heated room. then lower the candle towards the floor and again observe, the flame wil lean towards the stove. this is a natural convection current and this current once generated is what distributes the heat around the house.assisting this current with either doorway fans or a small fan sitting on the floor is not hard to do, but the misconceptions are usually in which way to blow the air.

a floor fan blowing away from a stove is a bad idea, as being on the floor you are blowing against the current of cool air moving to the stove.

ceiling fans can work with or against depending on rotation as well as siting. if out in front of the stove they should be pulling up , this will tend to move air across the ceiling to help it push down halls and into adjacent rooms

a ceiling fan in a non heated room if running should be pushing down however , to assist in pushing cooler air out near the floor and drawing warmer air in from up high.

doorway fans should be placed high and pointed away from the stove, pulling heated air out of the room with the stove, and floor fans should be low and aimed therefore at the stove

hope this helps :)

Thanks it does help!
I like the candle idea as well.
Cheers
Gray

That's a freaking excellent post mike. Two thumbs up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.