I let the fire go out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this time the wife let the fire go out. Second time this year that the fire went out. It went up to +6C today and according to the weather prognosticators, it's only going down to -2C and back up to +6C tomorrow.

Got all the ashes cleaned out and even gave the glass a thorough cleaning and conditioning. She's all laid up with kindling, just waiting for a match but I just might wait until Friday to light it. Supposed to stay below freezing this weekend so I should be able to work on the woodpile without getting too wet. Might have to dig out the rubber boots though.

Retired Guy said:
7* F this am. Mud next week - wish I could burn the mud!

You must not be too far from me, that's my forecast, too. Oh, what fun, slogging through mud for the next month!

LLigetfa surprised to hear you shut down. We're still burning full throttle even though it 40*...feels warmer cause the suns out and no wind.

I've been in and out swapping out wet T shirts drying by the fire. I'm wearing my carheart overalls over some summer shorts with just a T shirt. The fire feels good when you're sweat wet.

Had national grid through here over the winter knocked down quite a few trees...they basically trashed the area. But with the wood they left and all the dead trees I cut and staged over the fall/winter. I thinking I'm good for 15 real cords of C&Sing;to do in the next 60days or less.

We were in the teens last night but up to 40 now and I am letting the stove die. 30 tonight but I may just gut it out and not relight since we are supposed to ease upward in temps for the next three days. I have been about as entertained by wood burning as I care to be. Setting and leveling out a overnight burn has been a constant hassle this year for the first winter in my life. The best dry wood I have ever had and it is either too little air and it chokes down or a hair more and it is off and running like a blast furnace.

Time for a few days break.

Well... I broke down and struck the match tonight. Still +3C out there but it's really damp and it's supposed to go down to -5C this evening with a little freezing rain and snow forecast.

One thing about this damp weather, I can really smell that load of fresh cut Black Ash I started bucking up. Did I mention that I really like that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.