I love being warm!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briggsy13

Sep 19, 2011
Maryland
Trying hard not to think of all the money we wasted on heating oil the last 10 years we lived in our home. I guess above that is that we are finally warm and comfortable. Heating to 67 or 68 degrees was expensive and the kids had to stay dressed in their warm jammies when home. Now its warm and they actually sleep in their underwear cause in pj's they get too hot. :) One of the back bedrooms has always been about 5 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. With the pellet stove and a small fan in the door way it is 70 degrees back there now!!! So happy!!! Just wanted to share.

yes! heating with oil was always about setting it low as tolerable and never being warm except for that brief time when it was in the middle of a blast.
spending tons of $ and still not being really warm

soak temp and tee shirts ftw!

Nice to hear good stories of happy pellet burners! Glad your enjoying the warm toasty pellet heat!

We also enjoy heating with pellets and stay much warmer with them. Love saving some cash while we do it too! ;-)

great to hear! Remember, keep the stove clean, and she'll keep you warm.

Enjoy the heat!

St_Earl said:
yes! heating with oil was always about setting it low as tolerable and never being warm except for that brief time when it was in the middle of a blast.

So true! We love our new way of heating! Now our living room level is mid 70's, kitchen level is high 60's and bedrooms are low 60's. Perfect for us!

EDIT: And those temps are using room temp setting of about 70. The distribution fan seems to stay off more than on and the flame always appears to be in the "maintenance burn" especially when the temps are around 30 or more outside.

Sara, don't live in the past, let go of those 10 wasted years, and enjoy the heat of the future. Soak it up and get used to people coming in your house on a cold day, and being amazed at the warmth of your home.

oldmountvernon said:
66 was the temp here with oil, now its 72-75 and still at least 50% savings. Only downside.. if for some reason we are forced to go back to oil its really gonna hurt keeping it at 75 with oil! she is so used to that already she still says shes cold at times

From the way you pellet hunt? Something tells me you are just as much a heat hog as she! ;-)

Part of the pellet cure is admitting your hooked. I love the warmth as much as my wifey! Many times its I doing the complaining and heading for the stat! There!!!! I feel much better now. We just need the kid to admit he's also pellet hooked!!!! :cheese: Heading to Lowes today to get some fence repair items. A good excuse to check on what pellets are available. Must by pellet! :sick:

I feel really bad now that I see the temperatures everyone is keeping their homes at! I hope my wife doesn't see this thread! Way back when I was using propane only to heat the house (about a month ago!), The stats never saw the warmer side of 62. Now with this lovely pellet burner when the living room temps creep north of 70 I feel like jumping in the lake to cool off. I really do enjoy not needing fleece in the house to keep warm and 68-70 works just fine for me (although I know family members would be just fine with 70+ constantly.

I had a propane fill up last week (approximately $1,000 bucks for about 470 gallons!) and I hope that is the last I see of that tanker this winter. I'm counting on that 1,000 gallon tank being mighty lonely using heating hot water, dryer and cooking; with the occasional heat coming at night to supplement the pellet stove and move some hot water through the pipes to prevent from freezing.

One other thing...this forum has been incredibly informative and I think it would be difficult to find a nicer bunch of people on an on-line forum. Thanks to all!

Not only is the oil, propane, and natural gas people not liking us, but we're probably pi$$ing off the Snuggie people too :lol:

I love the warmth as much as my wifey!

I don't think my Mrs. reads this forum at all,,,,, but just in case she does,,,,," I love my wifey even more than the warmth"!!!!

always good to cover your a$$,,,,,,,lol

John

Murphy118 said:

I don't think my Mrs. reads this forum at all,,,,, but just in case she does,,,,," I love my wifey even more than the warmth"!!!!!

I love the peace and quiet even more. A warm wife is a quiet wife = good life.
My wife would never read this forum..............she knows first hand its ADDICTIVE.

Wachusett said:
Murphy118 said:

I don't think my Mrs. reads this forum at all,,,,, but just in case she does,,,,," I love my wifey even more than the warmth"!!!!!

I love the peace and quiet even more. A warm wife is a quiet wife = good life.
My wife would never read this forum..............she knows first hand its ADDICTIVE.

My wife does read these! So????? :cheese:

This is where you guys made your mistake...I married a dumb broad that can't read, So I can write anything I want!!! :coolsmile:

Eatonpcat said:
This is where you guys made your mistake...I married a dumb broad that can't read, So I can write anything I want!!! :coolsmile:

FRYING PAN-N-N-N-N-N!!!!!!!! DUCK-K-K-K-K--!!!!!!!!!!

xraycer said:
Eatonpcat said:

FRYING PAN-N-N-N-N-N!!!!!!!! DUCK-K-K-K-K--!!!!!!!!!!

If she ever does read this(I'm sure she can read!). This dude gonna be hurtin!

briggsy13 said:
Trying hard not to think of all the money we wasted on heating oil the last 10 years we lived in our home. I guess above that is that we are finally warm and comfortable. Heating to 67 or 68 degrees was expensive and the kids had to stay dressed in their warm jammies when home. Now its warm and they actually sleep in their underwear cause in pj's they get too hot. :) One of the back bedrooms has always been about 5 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. With the pellet stove and a small fan in the door way it is 70 degrees back there now!!! So happy!!! Just wanted to share.

Glad to hear that you & your family are warm @ comfortable w/pellet heat briggsy! This is exactly the kind of post, this message board can't get enough of. I've been hanging out here for a little over 4 years and have seen countless threads like this, it's always a good thing spending 1/2 much $$ and keeping warmer than you did before. I've never heated w/oil - always a wood stove for the main house and considered myself already ahead of the game, that is until I discovered the potential benefits of pellet heat! I'm just as warm as I was before for basically the same amount of $$, but I don't have to worry about cutting, stacking, splitting, hauling, etc - I think I have to find a new hobby now (collecting pellets?) with all the spare time I have.

The temps here were mild today(low 40s) and the area with the stove got to 79 on setting 2! The dog hates it and I love it. I'm already thinking about a insert for the other end of the house.

i am starting to get used to the weather here.
all the years i lived in portland oregon, this would have been a cold night.
now at 23f outside, i'm thinking "nice. a warm night. save a bit on the pellet use tonight."

Status
Not open for further replies.