1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I love end of the year clearance.

Post in 'The Gear' started by gmule, Mar 4, 2013.

1. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I had a coupon for $10 off on a bag of dog food to a ranch store that I had never shopped at.
    As I was walking in to buy my dog food they had this little 12 ton gas powered spliter on clearance for $300 regular price was $599
    I know that people here have had good luck with the 4 ton electrics so I thought I would give it a go and see what it could do. I figured that worst case I could resell it for what I paid for it.
    I split about half a cord with it today and it works better than I thought it would. It takes it a couple of seconds to spool up to max psi on the harder stuff but it was faster and a lot less work than using a maul. It seems to be built pretty well with gussets at the wedge and ram mount so I'll see how long it holds up for the long term. I figure I can always replace a pump or hydraulic cylinder if they die an early death.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Congrats!!!
    Wow - that is a heckuva deal - how long of a split does it do? The fireview takes 16", right?
  3. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Correct, the Fireview takes a 16" split this has the capacity for a 20" split
  4. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Wow is right..let me know how it goes...what kind of wood you splitting? hit any tough knots yet? what is the cycle time?
  5. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I split mostly pine with a few oddballs like apple or silver maple or elm if I get a decent scrounge. Mostly what grows in my location is pine and that is what will be the bulk of what I split with this.
    I put a few knotty 10" diameter pieces through it and it took a couple of seconds to spool the power up but it split it just fine. Advertised cycle time is 12 seconds. I didn't time it but it that seems about right. In the yellow tubes that make up the table there are springs in them that retract the ram automatically when you let off the lever. By the time I grab another log to split the ram is fully retracted. The machine is low to the ground so I am not lifting the logs too high but I think it may cause some to have lower back pain. After about the 3rd log I was sitting on a milk crate and as long as my pile of logs was close that pretty good.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

$300? Heck that is a deal. Good score!
    ScotO likes this.
  7. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Here is the same splitter at Norther Tool in red for comaprison.
  8. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I hope so. Out of the 4 reviews on Northern Tool 1 was bad. I'll be putting this through some wood and see if it is indeed a worthy purchase. I split 12 cords by hand last year It better be able to match that ;lol
  9. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

For $300, I would buy one. :)

Awesome deal..
    ScotO likes this.
  10. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    Backwoods savage will not approve of that splitter, lol! I am sure he will be along shortly to explain why it is wrong.......

In all seriousness though it looks like you got a great deal, Congrats!
    ScotO likes this.
  11. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    wow. Sounds great...brand? store?
  12. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
  13. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado

It is my understanding that it should split vertical to be approved. ;lol
    ScotO likes this.
  14. ScotO

ScotO Guest

heck, one of those would be perfect for the boys to use on our tree jobs....that'd keep them busy and off of their Ipods and Nintendo DS's.........I bet I could even talk the wife into doing some splitting while I'm at work...

Great find, Mule!
    Lumber-Jack, BrianK and Bret Chase like this.
  15. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Shoot , How could U go wrong for $300 , I paid $340 for a 7 ton electric.
    Nice find
    Throw some of that elm on there n test It out
  16. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I bet some have nearly 300 invested in mauls? I would take the risk at that price for sure.
  17. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    The cheapest part of this spliter seems to be the wheels and axle assembly.
    The wheel the tire mounts on is plastic and they are only held on with a cotter pin and a washer. There are no bearings of any kind just a plastic hub sort of like one of those power wheels riding toys. I will probably have to make improvements in this area first.
    It does have a warning about it in the manual that it should not be towed on the road only behind an ATV or garden tractor at speeds of no more than 5 mph.
  18. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Hmmm...don't know that I have seen one quite like that before. Looks fairly sturdy. At first I was a bit concerned about what appears to be a tiny hydro tank, but being that it is a single acting cylinder, it probably isn't as much of a big deal. Nice cycle times. Looks like a sweet little machine. That was a $300 no-brainer.
  19. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    The owners manual states that if hydro fluid gets too hot that I should change it to Dexeron III auto trans fluid. Probably because it can handle more heat.
  20. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Or take a beer break.;) (I think I saw that in the manual.;lol)
  21. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Yep Jags, those breaks tend to cool off more than just the mechanical splitter. I find that warm weather splitting does require a bit more preparation...like a cooler & ice :)
    Jags likes this.
  22. ScotO

ScotO Guest

for all the more you have invested in it, id consider making some kind of bracket for it that you could mount it right on your hitch sideways and make it so its level with the truck bed....as you are taking the rounds off of the truck you could split them...
    BobUrban likes this.
  23. nate379

nate379 Guest

Or split it before putting it in the truck? I cut and split before loading.

24. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Awesome splitter score!
  25. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado

Awesome Idea. I could also transport it this way since it is pretty compact. It is not any wider than a fullsize truck bed.
    BobUrban and ScotO like this.