I love free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out of work early today. Caught the last 15 minutes of my kid's soccer game then took both boys and my daughter with me to get wood. 5 trips in the dodge ram. picked up wood from 2 different houses. both in my neighborhood. 1 mile round trip on one and 2 mile round trip on the other. First house is a newly built place that had 5 takedowns to expand their driveway. Red and White Oak. I talked to the guy just after they moved in this summer to see about the wood. He said I could have it. I went by there once to cut and took a couple truck loads. Recently I nitoced that it had been cut into 16-30 inch rounds. almost all of them are sized to fit into my stove, length wise. Had to bust many of them up to get them in the truck. made 3 trips there. There is still enough for several trips. Then we went to another neighbor's house. They had a very large red oak get pushed over by a storm last week. I went over there and cut it up as well as another smaller tree. A nephew had taken some of the wood away and taken all the brush and stacked up all the rounds from that tree. Split the rounds into small enough pieces to stack and had the kids load them into the truck. Made three trips from there. Have enough for 1-2 truck loads left there. I do not need any more wood. I will have enough when I finish with what I got today to burn for 2-3 seasons. I am not being stingy with the wood burning at all. I'm burning like a fiend. it was 46 degrees outside yesterday and at 7 pm when we were leaving the house it was 85 degrees in the living room. I don't know how much it would cost in electric and natural gas bills to keep the house that warm without a stove......but I think it would be a lot. Throw another log on the fire....it's paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.