I made a booboo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betbug

Nov 12, 2015
South Carolina
I tried to close my damper and it seemed stuck so not looking what I was doing I push on the end and not I have the damper plate kind of twisted off track. For the life of me I can't get it back in place and all I wanted was to close it. Can someone tell me what to try?

How about some info on what you've got. Is it a fireplace? Wood stove? Pictures will also help.

It's a fireplace which I know nothing about. I have not lived in the house long and never used the fireplace. I just happened to hear the wind and checked the damper. Here are a few pictures as best as I could get.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 203
They are really pretty simple. Just a heavy plate that moves up and down . If u get a good lightin there so u can see you can probably get it fixed or close it by hand. There are seceral types of mechanisms in use so its hard to say what you have.

Looks like that hook rests in the hole as the pivot point as best i can tell from tr pictures

I can move it by hand. Does it go inside or should it be on the outside of the frame? Here is a little better picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 122
I'm not sure this is your fault. The damper plate appears to have either come out of its pivot bearing on one side. Not sure if that part rusted out or if it came unanchored. See if you can get a mason or a certified chimney sweep in to look at it.

It sits on the top of the metal framework. If you plan on using the fireplace this will need to be functional.

No I'm not going to use it, I just want to close it so that the air/heat goes up the chimney.

Then you should be able to move the plate to the correct position on top of the opening and leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.