1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I might get really madd today. what is this?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Buc White, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Buc White

Buc White New Member

Loc:
    Waterbury, CT
    So after the install about three weeks ago I had smoke from an unsealed pipe. I called the company and they sent the same installers back out. I couldn't see the smoke but I could smell it now. Somebody else comes out and fixes my problem. I do a check over and find this. I have never looked in there before so I don't know if its normal. Any ideas? something to worry about or is it something the gentleman did yesterday sealing something? photo (7).JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma
    Can't tell what you are questioning.
    Don't see any part of the vent path in the picture?

Not familiar with that stove so don't know what the picture is showing.

If you are referring to the oil stain, Then it looks normal to me.
    The question is...... what was oiled. Again, hard to tell from the picture.

Did your smoke smell go away?

Easiest way to check for smoke leak is in a dark room with a bright flashlight.
    When stove is first started it will produce the most smoke.
    Examine all areas of venting using a flashlight across the seams.
    Thoroughly check the appliance adapter at the rear of stove and it's connection to the exhaust blower.

Good Luck,
    ---Nailer---
  3. Buc White

Buc White New Member

Loc:
    Waterbury, CT
    sorry, i was talking about the stains. the smoke smell is gone. they took care of the that
  4. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    What are we looking at?
  5. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Sheet metal!
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Prob oil/grease coming out of auger. Right above that area on the Classic Bay is the auger.

I say, no worries :) The augers on these are unlike other stoves. Not a very good seal on them. IMO.
  7. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    where...what part of the stove? that picture shows me nothing really. I see some wet but I cannot tell where it is on the stove
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

It is between the firewall and the back wall of the heat exchanger (actually the back ash trap/clean out) on the Classic Bay.

There is a cut out, in the heat exchange plenum and the auger flight is directly above it.

Grease/Oil from auger got hot and leaked down.

Here is a farther pic. Dont judge the High temp silicone. I have an OAK hooked up and I have sealed almost every little Nook and Cranny, to make it a sealed system. All I had was Red the day I wanted to do it (and a Few Cold ones :))

2012-10-11_20-31-37_732.jpg
  9. Buc White

Buc White New Member

Loc:
    Waterbury, CT
    Can i seal that on my stove dexter with no OAK?
  10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    What the guy did yesterday is likely between the combustion blower and the vent pipe.

Snap a few more pictures down lower and towards the back.
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Without an OAK it wont really matter. Your gonna suck inside air either way. With an OAK hooked up, it helps to seal the system and make sure you suck outside air (mainly) .

Once you hook up an OAK, hit me up and I will show/tell you what all needs sealed. There are lots of points of air entry (holes in the bottom hearth section of stove, cracks in the plenum, hole for ignitor and thermocouple wires, etc)
  12. smoke show

smoke show Guest

I've seen 3 year olds finger paint better than that... :p