I need a break

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

5 more cords done this weekend. Hauled ~3 cords to Tok today, made about $500 profit on that. The other 2 are on my trailer going to a customer tomorrow. Been putting in some LONG days though, 4-5hrs of sleep most nights.
I have enough demand right now if I could get 3-4 cords out a day I would still be falling behind. Looking to buy a dumptruck and some other equipment, my 230,000 mile pickup wasn't liking it much, nor is my back.

So far has paid for my wood for the next 2 years, a splitter and will cover a dumptruck soon.

Thats extremely impressive Nate, sounds like you are doing fantastic. I hope your customers understand and appreciate the hard labor that goes into getting them that firewood, but if they don't, you better believe we all understand it here! :cool:

With a work load like that? A firewood processor is in order also. ;)

Thats a LOT of work!

Pics?

Or paying a 16or 17 year old $9/hr to work for you!

Tok?
Now that's a long way to deliver firewood.
That's like Pittsburgh to Cincinnati, only their roads are better.
Sounds like you are having fun ;)

With a work load like that? A firewood processor is in order also. ;)

Thats a LOT of work!

Pics?
+1 Without a doubt, it would pay for its self fast while providing Years of much increased production and less physical labor:cool:

Used a processor to do about 2 of those 5 cords and I was not impressed at all with it. (ran out of log length so worked a deal with supplier)

Blockbuster was the company.

It didn't make good quality wood, all sorts of odd splits and was surprisingly SLOW. Worked well on the nice big straight logs, but that is not common for our trees.

Me and another guys it took almost 6 hours to get 2 cords out of it. I'd bet I could come close to that doing it by hand with a guy working with me and have much nicer wood in the end.

Was about 350 miles round trip. I did it in a 40 year old dumptruck that has a top speed of about 50mph on the flats... the grades if I hit 25-30 I was doing good.

My trailer is still loaded though. The guy I had promised wood to didn't want it anymore. Not sure what got him angry, but he felt the need to call me all sorts of 4 letter words and seemed to think that without him buying this wood I wouldn't be able to afford to live anymore. Some people...!
Have had a couple do stuff like 12 cords for tonight and get huffy when I let them know I can't work that fast. It's freaking summer, what's the hurry to have wood that very day?

Nate, you have probably seen the SuperSplit. They define the SuperSplit as “a unique log splitter designed to fill the gap between the high cost of a wood processor and…a hydraulic log splitter.” I bought mine last year and it worked very well for me. I can’t say I have used it a lot yet, but so far I like it a lot. http://www.supersplit.com/

Sounds like you are moving right along and doing well Nate. What size dump truck are you thinking of getting? While I really like 1 1/2 ton 1993 ford superduty dump truck. It can be a pain dealing with all the regulations on them. If I hadn't gotten such a deal on the truck and farm plates. I think I would have been better off with my F-250 diesel and a big dump trailer. You have to compare the convenience of being able to just being able to back up and dump to backing a trailer and dumping. To the cost of insurance, comm plates, DOT inspections, doing daily driver logs and getting a med card and comm drivers license.

Billy

Used a processor to do about 2 of those 5 cords and I was not impressed at all with it. (ran out of log length so worked a deal with supplier)

Blockbuster was the company.

It didn't make good quality wood, all sorts of odd splits and was surprisingly SLOW. Worked well on the nice big straight logs, but that is not common for our trees.

Me and another guys it took almost 6 hours to get 2 cords out of it. I'd bet I could come close to that doing it by hand with a guy working with me and have much nicer wood in the end.

Was about 350 miles round trip. I did it in a 40 year old dumptruck that has a top speed of about 50mph on the flats... the grades if I hit 25-30 I was doing good.

My trailer is still loaded though. The guy I had promised wood to didn't want it anymore. Not sure what got him angry, but he felt the need to call me all sorts of 4 letter words and seemed to think that without him buying this wood I wouldn't be able to afford to live anymore. Some people...!
Have had a couple do stuff like 12 cords for tonight and get huffy when I let them know I can't work that fast. It's freaking summer, what's the hurry to have wood that very day?
How much were you selling per cord? 350miles round trip in an old dump that must have been getting 5 MPG at alaska fuel prices!! That must have cost you $350 in fuel to deliver that wood!!

It's cool and all but I'm not spending 3-4k on a wood splitter. Mine works fine. Spent about $650 on it brand new, bought a bigger wedge, bigger pump and a tank (about $150 total) and did a bit of fab work. It's not as fast as the Super Split but for $800 invested, I can live with it.

Nate, you have probably seen the SuperSplit. They define the SuperSplit as “a unique log splitter designed to fill the gap between the high cost of a wood processor and…a hydraulic log splitter.” I bought mine last year and it worked very well for me. I can’t say I have used it a lot yet, but so far I like it a lot. http://www.supersplit.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.