I need a pellet stove for the Donor program

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Throught PM and discussions we have a recevier of a pellet stove. Just wonderning out loud if somewhere I could come up with a decent canidate to rebuild or repair.

The person is an older lady up is central northern MA. The usuall suspects are behind this effort like Keyman And I know we can count on GVA and Harley possibly Goose

Keyman has a home for the Fisher Baby bear stove I can get my hands on IT now down the street from me

Keyman care to discuss the reciever of the stove and their setup I wish it were an EPA stove, but in this case it will help a familly heat. It is UL approved

I have to check some local dealers to see if they have canidates that can be refurbished.

Update on the Encore going to goose Just an idea what about a combined party effort od re habing that stove at the gathering.

I'm going to approach VC to see if they will give us a break in the parts needed Really besides the bottom grate the upper and lower fireback assembly should be replaced

which should include the damper frame and plate if warped too much there is an entire kit with instructions screws and gaskeds that includes all possible parts.

This would be the major work and cost. IF not VC then. I may try going threw the distributor direct to get the parts, Don't worry we will be doing gasket replacements as every one needs it

I admit I have not worked on this model, but I am familliar with the way VC essembled stoves, so not completely blind to the task This could turn into a future wiki rebuilding a stove and stove maintance. Also for those not famillar with bi metalic secondary air controled dampers, it will be on full display

Such a short time to get it done, getting the parts sent here. I will phone VC and see how receptive they are. and go from there

I have already made the parts list up with the proper part numbers. There will be a lot of 5/16" gaskets to replace

Sure ELK....

The stove one "Is Family". My Aunt has moved in with my grandmother (to take care of her). The "craftsman style" house built by my great-grandparents back in the 1940's...is "still in the family". It was built by my great grandfather little by little, he worked in a local lumberyard. Most of the timber was "salvaged" after the September 1938 huricane that devastated New England. Very little was done to the house over the years...and therefore most of the $$$'s goes towards "making it livable" i.e. insulation, windows a handicap ramp etc... A handfull to say the least.

They wanted to get a woodstove installed to help heat the house, offset higher heating costs, and to try to keep the house "warm enough" for grandma who is "always cold". I gave them a stove that was given to me from a customer. While not the "ideal stove" it's what I had to give. The flue it is connected to is a double insulated stainless steel one a 'friend of the family' came across on a renovation job that the owner no longer intended to use. There are some 'draft issues' that 'need a little work' (located close to the slope of the roof) and it probably needs to be extended a bit, yours' trully is probably going to be up on the roof installing an extension and doing the associated bracing because my uncle is getting older...

The stove could also be a big culprit as far as the draft issue... so it's going to be a process of 'fine tuning'.

I'll see about snapping a few pictures. ;)

I'll keep you (and the forum) posted...

The (potential) pellet stove recipiant is one I think that would be trully deserving.

She is a nice lady of 'modest means' over in (village of) Baldwinville, (Town of) Templeton. I grew up in that neighborhood. It's about as "small town America" as you can find. She is getting older and lives alone. The family checks in on her from time to time. As well as a lot of the townsfolk...she is well liked because of her service to the community.

She retired in (2002?) after 27 years of service as the local crossing guard for the elementary school. Just about every kid in town that would remember going to that elementary school...remembers her. Anyone that stopped into the office of the local Texaco gas station would either see her getting out of the cold on occassion...or see her stop sign and vest hanging on the wall. Again, small town. (the station owner was also the chief of the volunteer fire dept.) Always a smile, a good word... As I grew up and got older...I would see her walking back to her house from 'downtown' every school day...sometimes she would accept a ride home sometimes not. Most people would offer so...

I went to her house a couple of years ago on a service call and of course she said "You look familiar...were you one of my kids I used to have to cross"...funny how the years go by.

She had made mention about "looking into getting a pellet stove"...

Would be a nice "surprise" so any 'townies' from Templeton that might be reading... don't 'let the cat out of the bag'... lol

It's a small town where people still know one another...and 'word travels fast'. If any of the generous contributors on the site want some good publicity....I don't think they would be disapointed.

Like I said...couldn't think of someone more deserving than her...

Keep us up to date on the rebuild of the stove, and what you may need for parts and stuff Elk. And this soulds like a quick drive, so just depending on timing, I'll be there to help with the installation if you need a hand.

EDIT: Or for that matter a hand with the rebuild

elkimmeg said:
Update on the Encore going to goose
Just an idea - what about a combined party effort of rehabing that stove at the gathering?

Wow, you sure know how to make certain we all show up!
Now webWidow will definitely come. Just the idea of chipping off that old furnace cement will get her into gear.

Now, instead of our usual chant:
To-Ga
To-Ga

we're gonna go:
Gas-Ket
Gas-Ket
Gas-Ket

:p

Between cutting and splitting Gooses' wood and rebuilding his stove this sounds like Huck Finn got off easy.

BrotherBart said:
Between cutting and splitting Gooses' wood and rebuilding his stove this sounds like Huck Finn got off easy.

I won't ask anybody to do anything they don't feel comfortable doing, if folks want to come just to sit around the pool, drink mead and eat turkey, that's fine... :coolsmile:

I'm hoping Elk shows up (and maybe brings Mrs. Elk along for the ride...) and that we can get enough bodies to get the stove out of his truck and onto the drive. But that isn't a huge issue. Rebuilding the stove would be great, but isn't essential - If I rebuild it myself I'd probably strip it all the way down just so I could move it inside one (lightweight) peice at a time and to the rebuild on the hearth, but it isn't a big deal either way. I was actually thinking in terms of getting a couple cans of black stove paint just to pretty up the outside as it looks a bit rough in the photos, which might actually slow down a rebuild.

As to the wood - I know that lots of folks have been bragging about their splitting and cutting tools - I figured if people want to bring their favorite toys and have a "split off" I should have the wood available to do it with. Won't say the finished product won't go in the woodshed, :coolgrin: but I'm not asking for my year's supply to get cut either - In fact I'm usually splitting one-two cart loads a day (by hand) and currently have my new shed 4/5+ full and just started on refilling the old shed this afternoon (I have some stuff sitting in the empty space in the new shed that I don't want to move yet..) If I keep going, I'll have most of my 07-08 supply in the sheds by the time the party rolls around. As I've said before, this is intended to be a fun gathering, not a "work session" unless folks want it to be... I might ask some of the pro's for advice on DIY projects, but that will be conversation only, not asking for people to do it...

Gooserider

Goose next trip to home cheapo stop by the paint dept and l look at high temp spray cans Boq paint black pick up a couple cans
Unless you want to make the stove whorehouse red or if visiting an Auto parts store high heat paint

As soon as I get word from VC I will let you know

One caveat . there is another reason for rebuilding this stove. Many believe that when this stove was made, it was done in the hay day,
when many of the original craftsmen were still with VC. Many will tell youi the some of the best stoves were manufactured occured
during this time. This is one reason it makes it worth while to rebuild them.

This stove was made by many of the long time craftsmen. Many left or retired when the original founder was forced to sell in 1992. The buy out company only held VC for about 2 year,
( majestic), before selling out to CFM. It was during the mid 90 's after ownership changes, that VC had termoil and QC issues excalated. Eventually VC did address thse issues switching metal plates to refactory pieces which solved the warping and cracking plate repairs, particularly the lower fire back

elkimmeg said:
Goose next trip to home cheapo stop by the paint dept and l look at high temp spray cans Boq paint black pick up a couple cans
Unless you want to make the stove whorehouse red or if visiting an Auto parts store high heat paint

As soon as I get word from VC I will let you know

One caveat . there is another reason for rebuilding this stove. Many believe that when this stove was made, it was done in the hay day,
when many of the original craftsmen were still with VC. Many will tell youi the some of the best stoves were manufactured occured
during this time. This is one reason it makes it worth while to rebuild them.

This stove was made by many of the long time craftsmen. Many left or retired when the original founder was forced to sell in 1992. The buy out company only held VC for about 2 year,
( majestic), before selling out to CFM. It was during the mid 90 's after ownership changes, that VC had termoil and QC issues excalated. Eventually VC did address thse issues switching metal plates to refactory pieces which solved the warping and cracking plate repairs, particularly the lower fire back

Actually where I was thinking of going is there's a stove shop in Chelmsford that seems pretty good, they carry the "Stove Bright" brand paint, specifically billed as being for stoves, and claiming a higher temp rating than the BBQ paint that HD sells. (and I'm a traditionalist enough that I'll be going for just the plain basic flat black...

I will probably also try to get a new "T" from them as well, should I get one w/ a stack damper in it, or just plain?

Gooserider

Goose ,good news A lot of arm twisting, couple cries for uncle VC is putting together the parts list

hey I even threw in the part # for a new cat combustor but who knows what they have on hand and in stock

Most of it appeared to be stock items. Jees goose iits like getting a new stove

elkimmeg said:
Goose ,good news A lot of arm twisting, couple cries for uncle VC is putting together the parts list

hey I even threw in the part # for a new cat combustor but who knows what they have on hand and in stock

Most of it appeared to be stock items. Jees goose iits like getting a new stove

Sounds GREAT! I was figuring on needing a new cat at least... Keep me posted on what I will need to have on hand for the setup - I'm assuming a 6" "T" to connect the stove to the liner is basically it, and maybe some paint, anything else? I probably won't have the hearth extension done, (The GF and I need to decide what to do for a finish layer on it before I do much else...) but that won't keep us from being able to put the stove in place and hook it up. The current hearth is plenty wide enough for the stove, I just need the extension to meet the floor protector footprint in front of the door requirement.

Gooserider

goose I think this is a workable plan, either strip down the stove as it sits in the truck then ona piano dolly work on the dissesembly. We may not complete the job but leave it is such away you may want to re essemble it in place and paint parts seperate tools do not worry Im bring what I think I need I would like to bring the electric splitter but do m not plan to do chain sawing

I got a special couple pieces of American rock elm all brutes with monster mall can have at them Good luck to them it will probably numb their funny bones IF any members has the electric 4000 makita saw I would like to test that in action

Back to the stove what we could do is strip the parts and apply the gaskets to,make ready for complete re essembly take the top off and leave it at a state for you to finish it up I doubt it will be sitting on your hearth. Naturally I hope a video is recorded on a lot of goings on at the gathering I'm not comming ans an authoritiarian code consultant I comming as the same person we spent the day with going to VC ther is going to be no heated debates, Its saturday my day off in all respects Webwidow and I will have messy hands with gasket cement I( have to remember to blow out the stove and clean it out this weekens so it will be cleaner to work with.. If anyone that wants to help probably some surgerical gloves might be a good idea especially fro webwidow getting black gasket cement under her finger nails If hog is comming we have to find the dancing girls scantilly clothed Food or dring=k wise lr et me know even deserts Harley id comming got the micro brew covered Gva I will bring the hand cleaner.

Remember all this is suposed to be a fun time years of communication on the forum we all get a chance to place a face and real life personality behind our images of each other

Thanks to Goose for getting this going... I hope the Ny hudson Valley members can show the ct members Don you did such a good job with your prior Video .Harry time to take a Saturday off

elkimmeg said:
goose I think this is a workable plan, either strip down the stove as it sits in the truck then ona piano dolly work on the dissesembly. We may not complete the job but leave it is such away you may want to re essemble it in place and paint parts seperate tools do not worry Im bring what I think I need I would like to bring the electric splitter but do m not plan to do chain sawing

That sounds like it would work - just as a note, what is the best tool for cleaning up the existing finish? I have some wire wheels for the angle grinder, and a needle scaler, any other reccomendations? Also I have an air compressor, and most common hand and power tools, if anything is needed in that line.

I got a special couple pieces of American rock elm all brutes with monster mall can have at them Good luck to them it will probably numb their funny bones IF any members has the electric 4000 makita saw I would like to test that in action

Sounds good, I've got a lot of my current rounds split, but lots of gnarly ones left, and I may work on the stack some to get the smaller and medium stuff into rounds, though I want to save the big monster logs for the guys with the larger saws (if any)

Back to the stove what we could do is strip the parts and apply the gaskets to,make ready for complete re essembly take the top off and leave it at a state for you to finish it up I doubt it will be sitting on your hearth. Naturally I hope a video is recorded on a lot of goings on at the gathering I'm not comming ans an authoritiarian code consultant I comming as the same person we spent the day with going to VC ther is going to be no heated debates, Its saturday my day off in all respects Webwidow and I will have messy hands with gasket cement I( have to remember to blow out the stove and clean it out this weekens so it will be cleaner to work with..

I have a couple boxes of HF Nitrile gloves (the blue ones) and some latex gloves, all size large, but that should work OK. I don't have a video camera, but I'll make sure the digital camera is charged up. I promise to try avoiding arguements about the merits of gov't run inspections, but I might ask some code related questions for information only...

If anyone that wants to help probably some surgerical gloves might be a good idea especially fro webwidow getting black gasket cement under her finger nails If hog is comming we have to find the dancing girls scantilly clothed Food or dring=k wise lr et me know even deserts Harley id comming got the micro brew covered Gva I will bring the hand cleaner.

If Hogz shows up I can tell him how to get to the local 18+ strip joint, it's only a few blocks away %-P If he wants to lead an "expedition" over there, no problem... Food, I'll be frying a turkey, and we have some dogs and frozen burgers to throw on the grill. (no buns though) We will have mead, probably some assorted low carb sodas, and unsweetened Ice Tea. We don't have any sugar in the house to speak of, but I can offer as much honey as people want instead. I've gotten one RSVP that said vegetables. Unfortunately most people don't seem to be RSVP'ing yet, so I don't know who else is coming, or what is being brought otherwise. (Come on folks, lets post if you're coming!)

Remember all this is suposed to be a fun time years of communication on the forum we all get a chance to place a face and real life personality behind our images of each other

Exactly, one of the biggest reasons I decided to try and put this whole thing together. I've done other "meatspace" gatherings of electronic groups, and they've all been a great time.

Thanks to Goose for getting this going... I hope the Ny hudson Valley members can show the ct members Don you did such a good job with your prior Video .Harry time to take a Saturday off

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.