1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I need a saw...

Post in 'The Gear' started by Skier76, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleepy

Sleepy New Member

Loc:
    Western Pa.
    The local hardware store has a nice power equipment section with a good service department and I have spent a lot of money there over the years.
    I stopped there on the way home from work today to look at their Husqvarna saws. I guy I know who works for a local landscaper was there, so I asked what they use. Shindaiwa. I bought a Shindaiwa trimmer a couple of years ago, but didn't know they made saws. This guy has an older 488 18" and cuts 10 cords a year with no complaints. So does his brother. His has a 20" bar.

So now I am likely to buy a 490 Shindaiwa. I asked the store owner what the difference was between it and the 450, 460 Husqvarnas I was looking at. The answer was plastic case vs metal. The 490 is a pro series and has a metal crankcase. He also said that they have had a couple of Husqvarna landowner series come back. Also a large local tree company runs Shindaiwas. The price was $425, the same as the 450 Husqvarna. The display saw has an 18" Oregon bar and chain.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
  3. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
  4. DBoon

DBoon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Yes, agreed. The Husqvarna 346xp, the Stihl MS-260 Pro, and the Dolmar P5100-S were all the same kind of features and weight. The Dolmar ended up being the least expensive and with the closest dealer. It also happened to just feel best in my hands (hard to describe). That pretty much sums it up. I probably would have been happy with any of them.
  5. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and VT
    Nice vid!

I found a Dolmar dealer somewhat near me in VT located in South Newfane.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.