I need a saw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The local hardware store has a nice power equipment section with a good service department and I have spent a lot of money there over the years.
I stopped there on the way home from work today to look at their Husqvarna saws. I guy I know who works for a local landscaper was there, so I asked what they use. Shindaiwa. I bought a Shindaiwa trimmer a couple of years ago, but didn't know they made saws. This guy has an older 488 18" and cuts 10 cords a year with no complaints. So does his brother. His has a 20" bar.

So now I am likely to buy a 490 Shindaiwa. I asked the store owner what the difference was between it and the 450, 460 Husqvarnas I was looking at. The answer was plastic case vs metal. The 490 is a pro series and has a metal crankcase. He also said that they have had a couple of Husqvarna landowner series come back. Also a large local tree company runs Shindaiwas. The price was $425, the same as the 450 Husqvarna. The display saw has an 18" Oregon bar and chain.

I like my screaming little Dolmar 5100s. Fun saw that is great for 90% of my firewood cutting.
Regardless of the saw(s) you have, learn to tune them yourself. Most come pretty lean from the factory in order to get through EPA regs.

Here's a 16" section of a 24" standing dead ash I just took down.
18" Dolmar bar (16" usable), 3/8 sq. chisel Total chain.

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/BrianVT16/trees/?action=view&current=DSCN3177.flv

I’ve used all of the and they are all pretty good. To me, the saw market is kind of like the truck market. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all make pretty good trucks and I’ll try them all out before I buy.

Yes, agreed. The Husqvarna 346xp, the Stihl MS-260 Pro, and the Dolmar P5100-S were all the same kind of features and weight. The Dolmar ended up being the least expensive and with the closest dealer. It also happened to just feel best in my hands (hard to describe). That pretty much sums it up. I probably would have been happy with any of them.

Brian VT said:
I like my screaming little Dolmar 5100s. Fun saw that is great for 90% of my firewood cutting.
Regardless of the saw(s) you have, learn to tune them yourself. Most come pretty lean from the factory in order to get through EPA regs.

Here's a 16" section of a 24" standing dead ash I just took down.
18" Dolmar bar (16" usable), 3/8 sq. chisel Total chain.

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/BrianVT16/trees/?action=view&current=DSCN3177.flv

Nice vid!

I found a Dolmar dealer somewhat near me in VT located in South Newfane.

Status
Not open for further replies.