I need a starter for a John Deer lawnmower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
I am on a local cemetery board and I repair the equipment. We have a John Deer LT150 that needs a starter. The JD dealer wants $180 for the starter. It seems that you can get them on line for half that price, but I am having a hard time cross referencing it. I think I found one on electricmotorserviceonline.com, has anyone ever ordered from them? Any help would be appreciated.

I am on a local cemetery board and I repair the equipment. We have a John Deer LT150 that needs a starter. The JD dealer wants $180 for the starter. It seems that you can get them on line for half that price, but I am having a hard time cross referencing it. I think I found one on electricmotorserviceonline.com, has anyone ever ordered from them? Any help would be appreciated.

Have you looked into having the current starter rebuilt? Sorry, but I can't help on where to purchase new, but $180 sounds steep.

I would use the engine model to look for a starter not the mower model. The engine model and serial should be stamped/printed somewhere. Where is dependent upon the manufacturer and engine series.

I like these guys for parts: http://www.rcpw.com/ or http://www.mfgsupply.com/

The tractor went through a flood and the starter can't be rebuilt. The problem seems to be that it's a kohler engine in a John deer tractor and the numbers on the engine don't seem to be Kohler numbers, but John Deer numbers. I'm sure I can get a OEM starter, but I am having a hard time finding it.

The tractor went through a flood and the starter can't be rebuilt. The problem seems to be that it's a kohler engine in a John deer tractor and the numbers on the engine don't seem to be Kohler numbers, but John Deer numbers. I'm sure I can get a OEM starter, but I am having a hard time finding it.

I have a few Kohler starters in the store. Can't help with crossing the numbers though.
http://stores.ebay.com/LEEs-Sawmill...13487016&_sid=299571036&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The trick is to find a shop that knows what they are looking at rather than what the number says it is. There are really only a hand full of basic starters for small engines. The differences are usually in the electrical configuration. If the mounts and the drive gear is the same you can usually make it work.

For a flooded starter I'd take it apart, clean the commutator and brushes and any corrosion inside the case, unless the thing is a total mess.

For a flooded starter I'd take it apart, clean the commutator and brushes and any corrosion inside the case, unless the thing is a total mess.

It needs so many parts, I am pretty sure it's cheaper just to replace it.

Flooded engines are easy to fix, dry out the plug & blow out the cyl. and they are usually good to go. An engine that has drowned on the other hand......

If the starter is in that bad of shape what about the rest of the engine and its electrical parts?

The cemetery flooded and before we could get it someone stole it. They mowed their lawn several times with it before they got arrested. The police confiscated the mower and had it several months. When I got it, the starter must have had moisture in it because it was all sezed up. I cleaned out the carb and drained out the gas. The oil looked good and I sprayed some oil in the cylinder and stored in for the winter. I need to get a starter now to get it running.

Just checked the spec. sheet. 15 hp Kohler command engine. Any small engine parts supplier - even NAPA should be able to get one.

Just checked the spec. sheet. 15 hp Kohler command engine. Any small engine parts supplier - even NAPA should be able to get one.
Hey, thanks I'll try NAPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.