I need an EPA add on wood stove...A good one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS-310

Jan 12, 2007
Looking for an add on wood stove, it will have to be in the basment. I really want a EPA one

Thanks guys and this is my first post.

Hey brother MS-310 , welcome to the pack and glad to C you come over to take a look around an also to your first post.

Now when you say "add-on" EPA wood stove , you mean like hooking into your furnace ducting or just an EPA wood stove ?

What is your threshold for pain on price? What you are looking for is an indoor add-on wood furnace and very few of them are EPA certified since they are exempt from the certification requirement. There are a few out there that are certified but they are pricey.

The hole point that I want an good one cuz I live in an small town and would like an very little somkey add on...What about the ones at TSC the big green ones.

MS-310 said:
The hole point that I want an good one cuz I live in an small town and would like an very little somkey add on...What about the ones at TSC the big green ones.

It is not EPA certified. It is made by U.S. Stove Company and here is the poop from their website. There was one guy here on the forum that wasn't all that thrilled with his.

http://www.usstove.com/cgi-bin/csvsearchProdindivid.pl?ID=125

The one I have thought often about buying is this one:

http://www.englanderstoves.com/28-3500.html

It isn't EPA certified either but the one guy that I have seen on the Forum that has one likes it. Goes for twelve hundred or so at Lowes and Home Depot. If you live somewhere where Sutherland Lumber has stores you can probably get one for less.

Im looking for one that has an automatic dampener or some thing to keep it at a temp so I can be gone and not have to mess with the dampener door

MS-310 said:
Im looking for one that has an automatic dampener or some thing to keep it at a temp so I can be gone and not have to mess with the dampener door

Welcome,

you still haven't given us an idea of your budget. You will need to do some research since this technology is not simple. There is a not a simple answer - but there are some good units that will work and do what you want it to do. Can you spend $6,000 to $10,000. If not, it will be harder to find a non-smoking unit, but still can be done with a lot of research and consideration to how you will be operating the unit. For unattended, non-smoking, you're price will go up.

So you guys baby site all of your wood stoves?

Anyways is an add on going to somke alot? Like just say the non-epa hotblast or clayton stoves at TSC?
Im looking for an way to heat my house cheap with out my OWB.

There is always Jack.
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/furnaces.htm

They seem to be popular around here but I really don't know jack about them.
Sorry must be Friday.

How much smoke you get with this type of stove is going to depend a lot on your wood and how you run it. Wet/green wood and you get more smoke, in warm weather a large load of wood that you try to slow burn for a very long time is going to make more smoke.

MS-310 said:
So you guys baby site all of your wood stoves?

Anyways is an add on going to somke alot? Like just say the non-epa hotblast or clayton stoves at TSC?
Im looking for an way to heat my house cheap with out my OWB.

No, but a wood stove and an add-on furnace are two different things. You asked about an EPA rated furnace. 1200-1500 will not be enough. Either adjust your budget or adjust your expectations.

Sounds like there are some here who are using wood furnaces and can help you work through the details.

Thanks guys for the help....looking at the clayton type stove at TSC also....I will be looking alot. thanks again

Ms-110 I'm looking to replace my old unit now and after much deliberation I believe I'm going with the Woodchuck they are very well constructed. The 2900 goes for around $2600. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if I can get a little better price. As long as you burn well seasoned wood and don't jam every log in the box you can just to choke it down and make it last you shouldn't have very much smoke. Just make sure your chimney is tall enough to get your smoke well over the roof peak and the wind will do the rest. Good luck with whatever you decide on and please keep us posted. Welcome to the forum ... Lots of good people here with a wealth of valuable info and ready to share with anyone who needs it (or will listen).

http://www.woodchuckfurnace.com/

http://www.extendaflue.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.