I need some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

justaduckfan

Dec 15, 2022
Oregon
Hi there!

I have a Heatilator PS50, and it stopped working. I've just replaced the igniter, as that was the 1st thing to go out. Then, about 2ish weeks later, the stove stopped working again. I diagnosed that the pellet auger was not turning, thus not delivering any fuel to the firepot. I have replaced the snap discs and the auger motor, and I've tested and jumped past the bin lid button, but the auger still won't turn.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

Welcome to the forum
Without a clearer picture of what is happening,
we can't possibly diagnose your problem to many
variables. In the meantime here is a copy of your manual
I hope it helps.
more info about what happens when you try to start your stove
Does the combustion blower come on?
When was the last time the stove was cleaned from air intake to exhaust termination?

Welcome to the forum
Without a clearer picture of what is happening,
we can't possibly diagnose your problem to many
variables. In the meantime here is a copy of your manual
I hope it helps.
more info about what happens when you try to start your stove
Does the combustion blower come on?
When was the last time the stove was cleaned from air intake to exhaust termination?
Well, I can tell you that everything else works as it should. All the fans kick on like usual; I can even put a handful of pellets into the firepot, and everything works like it should until it runs out. I had everything apart last last winter, cleaned everything I could find, and put it all together again. I cleaned the flu before using it this fall, and the air intake is only about 8 inches long and open just behind the stove, so it should be clear. I just don't know what else to check.

Jump the 2 red wires at the vacuum switch and see if the stove works (caution do not ground the red wires )
As so check snap disc #2 above the convection blower ( push the red button if you hear a click the disc popped and you have just reset it)
Again try the stove
Also, check the vac hose for cracks or splits. Blow through it TOWARDS THE FIREBOX
if you blow towards the vac switch you may kill it

Thanks everyone for your help & suggestions! I took the vac switch out, disconnected the hose, blew through it, and **gently** sucked & blew into the switch, to move the baffle switch back & fourth. That's all it took! Hooked everything back up, plugged it back in, and everything worked beautifully! Once again, Thanks to all!

David

So, I'm at a loss. My stove still isn't working. The auger still isn't turning. I have replaced:

1) The auger motor
2) All the snap discs
3) The vacuum switch
4) I have tested the hopper lid switch, and it's fine (I also jumped it, just to be complete)

I don't know what else to try, except maybe the seal around the door. Anyone have any ideas? Just to jog everyone's memory, it's a Heatilator PS50 pellet stove.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

If you bypass the new vacuum switch and auger starts to run, then suspect the stove or piping is plugged. Also check door gasket with dollar bill closed between door and stove body, should be difficult to remove. This gap can be eliminated by removing washer between latch and door (can be a PITA to take latch off handle at times due to rust), or by replacing the seal.

If you bypass the new vacuum switch and auger starts to run, then suspect the stove or piping is plugged. Also check door gasket with dollar bill closed between door and stove body, should be difficult to remove. This gap can be eliminated by removing washer between latch and door (can be a PITA to take latch off handle at times due to rust), or by replacing the seal.
Is it possible to reverse the electrical connectors on the pressure switch?

Vacuum switch is not polarity sensitive, it just connects the two wire together electronically with vacuum applied. So wires can be flipped

My Heatilator 50 auger stopped working...I replaced the motor...still won't turn. If I put pellets in the pot, they burn, but auger won't put them in. I have no idea what to do...or how to do it. I just had it cleaned and serviced last month. Any ideas?

Red call for heat light coming on?
Exhaust motor turning when thermostat calls for heat?
Pellet hopper have enough pellets to cover bottom of hopper to enable vacuum creation?
Disconnect vacuum hose at switch and blow through hose to ensure it's clear into auger tube. Reconnect hose. If auger isn't turning after this try jumping across vacuum terminals.

Where would I find the light? I've ever seen it. The only motor I hear is the one that indicates the stove is on. But the switch that controls auger speed isn't working either...My auger used to turn even without a lot of pellets in the hopper. I took most of them out so I could feel whether or not it was turning. No idea where to locate the vacuum hose switch (or the hose). All I've ever done is removed the auger to replace the motor.

Here is a link to the manual
Suggest you read and understand it then we will be able to help
It will explain the parts and show you where they are and what they do
How your stove works and how to troubleshoot problems. Then ask
for help we can not help if you do not know what a part is what it does
or where it is. We want to help but we need you to know what we are talking about

I have the manual. I took the other side panel off and see the red light.
Here is a link to the manual
Suggest you read and understand it then we will be able to help
It will explain the parts and show you where they are and what they do
How your stove works and how to troubleshoot problems. Then ask
for help we can not help if you do not know what a part is what it does
or where it is. We want to help but we need you to know what we are talking about
I have the manual uploaded it came with. I took the other panel off ( never had it off before) and saw the red light on. The vaccuum hose is clear, as well.

Red call for heat light coming on?
Exhaust motor turning when thermostat calls for heat?
Pellet hopper have enough pellets to cover bottom of hopper to enable vacuum creation?
Disconnect vacuum hose at switch and blow through hose to ensure it's clear into auger tube. Reconnect hose. If auger isn't turning after this try jumping across vacuum terminals.
How does one 'jump across terminals'?

Disconnect the 2 wires and install a jumper wire between the two wires (This removes the switch from the circuit)
This is for test purposes only reconnect to the switch (or new switch) after the test
Make sure you do not ground the wires that tend's to let the magic smoke out of the control board

Well, that didn't last...once the hopper was empty, I refilled it to keep the stove going...it shut down and won't restart - again. The auger clearly works, as does everything (I HAD heat) .... any clues?

Did you run the hopper completely out of pellets till the fire went out?

Did you close the hopper lid? The lid has a safety switch so the auger won’t turn (and won’t feed pellets either) when the lid is open.

After you run out of pellets it takes a while to refill the auger shut and feed the fire pot
Put a hand full of pellets in the pot and try to light your stove again

From the manual, you have not read
For your first fire, it will be necessary to press the reset button once approximately 2 minutes after start up and again in 5 minutes. This will fill the feed system and allow the appliance to begin dropping pellets. Or you can put a handful of pellets in the firepot to speed up the process. The appliance will continue to run as long as the thermostat is calling for heat.