I need to be more careful

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Well, I tossed a split straight in and busted a firebrick in half. It's still standing there doing it's job, but it needs to be replaced. This comes right after I've noticed how the baffle seems to be getting pretty beat up.

I really need to be careful when I load this sucker.

What sucker Danno? Maybe put all the saws in one line to make room for your stove in the sig line?

Englander NC-30

thanks. I noticed I was getting a bit too aggressive the other day with an oversize log that just wasn't fitting in the stove N/S. I'm not worried about the baffle, but slamming against the back bricks will cost me if I'm not careful.

The Buck 91 had three bricks cracked in the back from the previous owner. What are you guys doing, tossing splits in from five feet away? Come on, a little singed arm hair never hurt anybody! :p;lol

Reactions: swagler85 and loon
Well, I tossed a split straight in and busted a firebrick in half. It's still standing there doing it's job, but it needs to be replaced. This comes right after I've noticed how the baffle seems to be getting pretty beat up.

I really need to be careful when I load this sucker.
I have a tendency to roll big splits from the top of the coal mound to the back of the stove. Sometimes it picks up speed and really slams into the back wall of fire brick. I should probably by extra brick over the summer as back up when I do end up cracking a few bricks.

I stand about 15' away across the basement and whack them splits with my sand wedge.
I've been practicing and can stick 'em in the middle of the firebox with regularity now.
Tiger and Mickelson eat your hearts out...

I stand about 15' away across the basement and whack them splits with my sand wedge.
I've been practicing and can stick 'em in the middle of the firebox with regularity now.
Tiger and Mickelson eat your hearts out...
Do you have time to play in a scramble next week? We always like to have a ringer on board... ==c

Luckily, bricks go for only $2.50 here. ==c

Yah, the Farm supply store here sells them for about that (Coastal Farm and Ranch). They have a 10% discount for anyone over 55 on Tuesdays as well.

Yep, 6-pack was $15 @ NorthernTool a few years ago.
I think the pumice bricks some mfrs use are a bit more pricey though.

Yah, the Farm supply store here sells them for about that (Coastal Farm and Ranch). They have a 10% discount for anyone over 55 on Tuesdays as well.
Are you calling me an old man?? :mad:
You're right. Do I get a bigger discount when I hit the big six-oh? ;lol

There different formulations of the bricks depending on the temps it is going to be exposed to, hence the price differences. They are all fairly easy to trim to size. A cheap throwaway toolbox hand saw is about all you need for this.

Are you calling me an old man?? :mad:
You're right. Do I get a bigger discount when I hit the big six-oh? ;lol

No, I am calling myself old, as how else would I know about the old fart discount there on Tuesdays! I almost bought some 1.25 inch stove door rope there yesterday, and realized it was Thursday! I put it down and ran for the door! I can save $3 and buy it next Tuesday. I saw the bricks next to the rope... I also have a few broken fire bricks that need replacing, so I will save even more!

No better discount for being 60, sorry. Though you will be 5 years closer to being 10 years away from actually getting anything from social security.

After 2 burning seasons, the bricks in my little Century stove were a mess. I replaced all of them with Rutland replacement firebrick I got from Ace Hardware. These bricks are much tougher than the OEM bricks...3 seasons on & they look just fine. Rick

I noticed a while back somehow one of use managed to dislodge one of the bricks on the top above the tubes and move it over a bit. I have absolutely NO idea how that happened or how long it was like that. I just happened to sit in front of the stove and the dog got in my face so I leaned over a bit and looked in the stove for some reason. Used the poker to move it back over. Probably effected the burn too. I'm waiting to damage the tubes though, bumping them with some bigger splits.

Be glad if you only bust a brick. On my old insert over the years I had the bad habit of smacking the back wall with big splits N/S while the stove was hot. Finally a weld at the top of that back wall gave up and let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.