I need usable firewood for THIS season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My neighbor's dead red maple toppled into my yard last week. The branches I'm burning right now are definitely ready to burn, as though they'd been cut from a newly downed tree and then seasoned three or four years. I'm not sure if the main trunk would have more moisture. So it does seem possible to cut standing dead trees, and burn them. It sounds like the best bet, if you can find some.

Reactions: Jotel me this
Solar kilns take about a month or more to dry greenish wood. Putting in for a day wouldn't do anything besides get any surface moisture dry. Making a heated kiln seems like it would be counter productive since that heat might be better put into the house.

do you know how well solar kilns work in the Northeast in winter? barely any usable warm sunlight in winter. Do these things use fans?

do you know how well solar kilns work in the Northeast in winter? barely any usable warm sunlight in winter. Do these things use fans?

Your kiln will not work in winter. You need sun to opperate the kiln. They work fine in the north east. Poindexter opperates his in Alaska during the summer time but he's only drying softwoods. There is no electricity needed in a solar Kiln nor is there any heat source. The sun is your heat source the way that the Kiln works is the air is drawn up from the bottom of the kiln and goes out the vent holes at the top simple convection operates the kiln. I understand from your post that you need to dry wood.. its not going to happen in 32 degree weather and in 20 days you will have the least amount of light for the year. What you need to do is locate seasoned wood or bio bricks to get you through the winter
Start setting up for next year so you dont have this problem year after year..realy if you want this problem to go away you should already be prossing for 2019/20 and 2020/21 and have all of your storage thought out.. if your interested in the kiln look up my post.. solar kiln for hardwoods

You need to do as many that have gone before you have done to get by until they have a 2-3 year supply of dry firewood stocked up...supplement with free pallets. Get yourself a "pallet buster" (there are a bunch on ebay) or circular saw, then start cruising the backside of any/all stores looking for pallet piles, ask if you can have them, most stores are glad to be rid of them...but some send the good ones back, so you need to ask before taking.
I personally like to use a circular saw on them if I'm burning them...I use the pallet buster more if I'm re-using the wood for a project.
Take the saw across the top and bottom deck boards, right next to the stringers (that's 4 cuts on the top, and the bottom) then cut the stringers in half or thirds as needed to fit in your stove. That's 2 or 4 more cuts. Always watch out for the nails too...saw blades don't like 'em. Speaking of nails, obviously you won't be able to spread the ashes on the garden with all the nails in it. I throw mine in the trash after I'm sure they are cold (months later) You can make a pallet into "firewood" in about 2-3 minutes using this method.
Most pallets are super dry and the wood burns very well, just mix it in with your firewood to bring the average moisture content of the load down. But beware that sometimes you will run into pallet wood that is not dry...but most are IME.
And don't burn anything that is painted or coated.

Check with your local State Forests. They may have a firewood cutting program whereby you cut down and standing dead trees next to forest roads for a nominal fee . You may get some okay dry wood this year yet that way. Or at least for next years burning. Kevin

You need to do as many that have gone before you have done to get by until they have a 2-3 year supply of dry firewood stocked up...supplement with free pallets. Get yourself a "pallet buster" (there are a bunch on ebay) or circular saw, then start cruising the backside of any/all stores looking for pallet piles, ask if you can have them, most stores are glad to be rid of them...but some send the good ones back, so you need to ask before taking.
I personally like to use a circular saw on them if I'm burning them...I use the pallet buster more if I'm re-using the wood for a project.
Take the saw across the top and bottom deck boards, right next to the stringers (that's 4 cuts on the top, and the bottom) then cut the stringers in half or thirds as needed to fit in your stove. That's 2 or 4 more cuts. Always watch out for the nails too...saw blades don't like 'em. Speaking of nails, obviously you won't be able to spread the ashes on the garden with all the nails in it. I throw mine in the trash after I'm sure they are cold (months later) You can make a pallet into "firewood" in about 2-3 minutes using this method.
Most pallets are super dry and the wood burns very well, just mix it in with your firewood to bring the average moisture content of the load down. But beware that sometimes you will run into pallet wood that is not dry...but most are IME.
And don't burn anything that is painted or coated.

i appreciate the info but i wont burn pallets. even kiln dried, clean, non-pressure treated wood like dimensional 2x4's. They actually contain high levels of salts.

what most dont realize is that when trees are cut for lumber they are floated down lakes, salt waters, and rivers to the mill. they pick up these salts which, when the wood is cut and dried, the salts become highly concentrated which are very corrosive to your stove.

even with pallets which look new and clean.. you have no idea what chemicals may have spilled on them along the journey. not worth the risk to me.

i appreciate the info but i wont burn pallets. even kiln dried, clean, non-pressure treated wood like dimensional 2x4's. They actually contain high levels of salts.

what most dont realize is that when trees are cut for lumber they are floated down lakes, salt waters, and rivers to the mill. they pick up these salts which, when the wood is cut and dried, the salts become highly concentrated which are very corrosive to your stove.

even with pallets which look new and clean.. you have no idea what chemicals may have spilled on them along the journey. not worth the risk to me.
I really doubt that most lumber is floated to mills anymore...some maybe, not most. And even if it was floated through a "salt water river" the wood is not gonna pick up much if any salt...the bark maybe some, but not the wood.
And if you think that burning "real firewood" only, is not exposing your stove to anything other than "pure wood", you need to look at all the threads here about all the crazy stuff people find in wood...or find in their firebox after the wood is burnt.
And what about all the minerals that trees absorb from the soil the grow in...ever had green clinkers in you stove, I have...not from pallet wood though...regular ole piece of Oak. Can't say I've ever had anything but ashes and nails left from pallet wood.
A little paint aint gonna kill your stove either...I'm not talking completely covered in paint, just a splash or painted letters, wont hurt a thing unless you are standing over your chimney sniffing...and if your are you have bigger issues! ;lol
Many many people here have used pallets to get through the first year of two of wood heating when your wood supply is lean...never heard of any damage to anyone's stove...even people with cat stoves have done it.
I wouldn't burn any treated wood, but I've never personally seen a treated pallet...they may be out there, but I've never seen one.
But if you aren't interested in supplementing with pallet wood, that's your prerogative...good luck with your wood search...keep an eye on craigslist and the like...once in a while you can score actual real live dry wood.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
If your area was anything like mine you’re going to have a rough time because of all the rain.

I took a few big cherries that have been standing dead probably for years and even the tops were still 20%. I’m still burning it but I’ve had to keep it in a cycle. Take dry wood an put it in stove, replace the rack next to the stove with more wet. Rinse repeat.

I got in touch with a guy on Facebook market place who still had a cord left of decent wood. It’s still a little wet but it’s burning okay. Only problem is it’s all cut to 16” and it’s dirty.

My wife turned me on to Facebook market place for all my local buying and selling. It’s better than Craigslist in my opinion. I would check that out.

Many many people here have used pallets to get through the first year of two of wood heating when your wood supply is lean...never heard of any damage to anyone's stove...even people with cat stoves have done it.

could be because the ones who ruined their stoves are too embarrassed to admit it ;lol