I now know why you guys need wood sheds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
This winter has been a problem for wood from the the piles to the house. Too much snow! If we had all this snow every year I would build a shed.

localLEE said:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and right next to the house. I got better things to do than to lug wood through 3-4' of snow.
I clear a path.

Attachments

• 100_0608 (Medium).jpg
    100_0608 (Medium).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,064
Ja, I spend all day fighting the eF'n snow. If I had to come home and fight it just to haul wood in I'd turn up the gas. I've designed my house, shop and business to be run in as few as steps as possible and a shed 100 yards from the house don't fit my schedule.

I'm with you Lee. I start every season with 8 cord under a roof within 20 feet of my stove.

I built the shed 13' from the front of the house. The front door is a little farther, and I plow the space between the house and shed. Nice short walk.
It's work no matter how you do it, but why make it difficult if you don't have to? YMWV

You guys are jammed in like sardines.

I like the open spaces. That's why I have 18 acres. Keeps the neighbors farther away. Built the house 250 feet back from the road. Parking area is 100 feet away from the house. I enjoy the 100 foot walk walk to the shed.

Contemplative moment

Add several inches of rain to that several feet of snow.
Not enough to wash the snow away.
Just enough to make a foot or two of white concrete covering everything.
Ice that you need a sledge hammer to bust up if it's in your way.

Might only be real bad ( kinda common here unfortunately) every five years or so.
When you have to bust splits out of an exposed stack with a sledge hammer and dry them out on the cellar floor a day or so in advance of needing them you build a shed or at least cover things with something solid that won't rip.

I have some stacks out in the woods like Quads and even though my Sunday walks in the woods have been curtailed for a month due to the depth of snow I can see one stack from a bluff. Well there's a lump of white where the stack supposedly is. :)
I'm glad I don't need any of them right now.

LLigetfa said:

I like the open spaces. That's why I have 18 acres. Keeps the neighbors farther away. Built the house 250 feet back from the road. Parking area is 100 feet away from the house. I enjoy the 100 foot walk walk to the shed.

Contemplative moment

Plenty of room here (8.5 main property, couple more across the road, and wish I had more), with the neighbors about 300ft to either side through the woods.
I really wouldn't want to have to go 100 ft to bring wood in. To each their own, and YMWV.

PapaDave said:
To each their own, and YMWV.

I'd be OK with the shed being further away if I had a NG line to my house.

Carbon_Liberator said:
My woodshed is 15 ft from the back door, and the wood stove is 13 ft from the back door.
Oh, and no snow. ;-P
stovetoshed.JPG

You'd prolly go through less wood if someone would quit leaving the door open!!

LLigetfa said:
I enjoy the 100 foot walk walk to the shed.
Don't you worry about rabid wolves? :eek:hh:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
My woodshed is 15 ft from the back door, and the wood stove is 13 ft from the back door.
Oh, and no snow. ;-P

You'd prolly go through less wood if someone would quit leaving the door open!!
Yes, but I could bring in more wood even faster if I removed the door entirely.

I'm getting close to calling it quits until the snow melts - never thought I would, but it's just brutal - normally it would be fine with a wheelbarrow into the garage, but not with 3' snow on the ground and the splits covered in snow.

I'd love to build a shed by the house but there is not a good spot & the wife is not on board with that idea. Still trying to figure out if it might be possible. Until then, the porch does hold about 2 cord and after that its a small truckload from the back yard every 2 weeks or so.

My boiler shed is a 100 foot walk from the garage. I can hold about 4 cords in there, the kids help stack it as needed. We have 44 acres, a golf course a couple of hundred yards behind us, a 200 agricultural preservation farm across the street. Closest neighbors are at least 1/4 mile away. Just about perfect (except for the road, at least the county plows it quickly since it is a schoold bus route AND an alternate emergency vehicle route). Heard the owls hooting this evening while we were stacking some new splits.

LLigetfa said:

Contemplative moment

LLigetfa
I like the open spaces too, but acreage in these parts is pretty expensive because it's all either ranch land, orchard or vineyard. Anything with 18 acres and a decent house is gona cost close to, if not over, a million bucks. Unless you're rich or can make a living off the land it's just not feasible to own, not for regular working stiff like me anyway. So I have to be satisfied living where I do for now. One day I hope to own some acres with a nice flat open field where I can fly my ultralight out of my back yard, but for now I just drive down the road a bit where a friendly rancher lets me use his field. And for those "contemplative moments" we regularly take walks up a mountain road that's only a block away, or down by the creek that's even closer than that.

This is where we live.

BTW I like sardines ;-P

I have been maintaining an ice road from the stack up to the house. It's only about 50 feet from the stack to the front porch, but it is up hill. Having the tractor makes a huge difference this year. Snow shovel and wheel barrow have been replaced by garden tractor w/ plow or snow thrower and cart.

Attachments

• DSC06415.jpg
    DSC06415.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 485
  • DSC06358.jpg
    DSC06358.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 492
[quote author="Carbon_Liberator" So I have to be satisfied living where I do for now. One day I hope to own some acres with a nice flat open field where I can fly my ultralight out of my back yard, but for now I just drive down the road a bit where a friendly rancher lets me use his field. And for those "contemplative moments" we regularly take walks up a mountain road that's only a block away, or down by the creek that's even closer than that.

This is where we live.

[/quote]

I just might trade you my 44 acres for your little piece of Heaven! Awesome location.

Everyone I work with always is amazed I own so much land... 2.5 acres lol.

I'd love to own over 10 but I dont burn wood because I am rich... and if you arent rich you got to be well over an hour from anywhere, I already have a 40 mile drive to work (each way, 80mi daily)!

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
I'd love to own over 10 but I dont burn wood because I am rich...
Local codes dictate that you need a minimum of 5 acres and a minimum frontage of 300 feet to build out here. Since quarter sections are 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile, concession roads being the only access, many quarter sections are sliced up into 1/2 mile long, 300 foot wide ribbons. Sure they could have not gone back the full 1/2 mile but what would be left over would be land-locked with no road access. Nobody wants land with easements on it.

I could have bought a quarter section in this area for almost the same price I paid for 18 acres. What swayed me was the availability of natural gas, so I don't burn wood because I have to.

BTW, I have a 15-20 minute drive to work.

LLigetfa said:
Local codes dictate that you need a minimum of 5 acres and a minimum frontage of 300 feet to build out here. Since quarter sections are 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile, concession roads being the only access, many quarter sections are sliced up into 1/2 mile long, 300 foot wide ribbons. Sure they could have not gone back the full 1/2 mile but what would be left over would be land-locked with no road access. Nobody wants land with easements on it.

I could have bought a quarter section in this area for almost the same price I paid for 18 acres. What swayed me was the availability of natural gas, so I don't burn wood because I have to.

BTW, I have a 15-20 minute drive to work.

Yeah, quite different up there, back in my stomp'n grounds (northern ny) was very similar but not a whole lot of jobs around those parts. 15-20 minutes from where I work now wouldnt even put you outside the belt, and no way I am living in the city again. Having a 60'x100' lot just doesnt fit my lifestyle anymore lol! of course what I save in wood is probably being offset by driving the V10 80 miles a day...

CarbonNeutral said:
I'm getting close to calling it quits until the snow melts - never thought I would, but it's just brutal - normally it would be fine with a wheelbarrow into the garage, but not with 3' snow on the ground and the splits covered in snow.

Ditch the wheelbarrow and get one of those cheap molded plastic kids' sleds while they're still selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.