I ordered my Alderlea T-5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WonderingWoman said:
Well, I did it. I'm making progress with my expansion project, and I ordered my stove.

Did you order it from Tom?

I ordered it from the place in Bellingham, but I spoke with someone else. I got very good information regarding the pipe I need, and how far up it needs to go. He said it's not neccessary to do double drywall, that these stoves are designed for a regular wall.

A friend just ordered a T5 from Tom as well. It's busy up in Bellingham.

I have single drywall behind my stove. No problems. Take lots of pictures!

When everything is finished I'll post it here. I still have quite a bit of work to go, but have accomplished a great deal, as this extension is closed in, with windows and it is usable now as living space.

Progress is good. A real feeling of accomplishment. As I recall, you were taking out a wall and enclosing a porch...is that right? What did you end up putting in there for a header? (If I'm remembering another's project, then please disregard my post. Lots of people here have learned to do that as a matter of course, anyway. :smirk: ) Rick

BeGreen said:
A friend just ordered a T5 from Tom as well. It's busy up in Bellingham.

Yeah it sounds like Tom may soon be doing more business than the Georgia Pacific plant there that everybody called "the toilet paper plant" when I use to visit our little refinery in Ferndale.

Congrats, now you have the pain of waiting the rest of summer til you can use it. :down:

Todd said:
Congrats, now you have the pain of waiting the rest of summer til you can use it. :down:

I had that wait last year. Stove went in in April and wasn't fired until October. Makes the summer last a long time.

Congratulations on your projects progress. Always nice to see things getting done. I don't want to wish away the summer though as winter will be here cold and long again. :)

Okay some one please tell whos Tom If hes selling stove he better order more then normal.hell have no problem selling them.

Todd said:

Not here, we're still getting some nights in the high 40s. I wouldn't be surprised if she's seeing low 40s in the mountains.

Relax, it is only Junuary.

Tom won't sell me a stove cause I am Canadian. My local dealer is for sale (he just bought the place a few years back) and he isn't well liked. The guy who is well liked can't sell PE.

Ahh the dilemmas of small town living.

Congrats on the stove btw.

Perhaps if the local shop is for sale, he is clearing out inventory? If you can get the stove then perhaps get another installer to put it in or DIY. Have you contacted the dealers in Revelstoke, Grand Forks Creston or Vernon?

BeGreen said:
Perhaps if the local shop is for sale, he is clearing out inventory? If you can get the stove then perhaps get another installer to put it in or DIY. Have you contacted the dealers in Revelstoke, Grand Forks Creston or Vernon?

No I haven't tried them. This guy in Nelson doesn't install. He gives you a list of installers and says they are all good. This is the Kootenays, very very few trades are good.
Might try Revy or Creston/ Grand Forks. Good idea.
The local guy at Fletcher Creek is a god around here but again he will not sell PE.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

BTW Greenwriter, are you the same Greenwriter on IBC?

Why on earth wouldn't you burn it? I had my first fire in August. It is actually ideal to burn off the paint and smoke when the weather is warm enough to open the doors and windows. Yeah, we saw 46 degrees the last two mornings but the temps came up to upper 60s by lunch time. Nice and sunny.

BTW Greenwriter, are you the same Greenwriter on IBC?

Nope, I burn wood and electrons.

Highbeam said:
Why on earth wouldn't you burn it? I had my first fire in August. It is actually ideal to burn off the paint and smoke when the weather is warm enough to open the doors and windows. Yeah, we saw 46 degrees the last two mornings but the temps came up to upper 60s by lunch time. Nice and sunny.

Because it's 85-90 during the summer here, I don't have A/C, and I don't need more heat in a house that I am trying to cool off. ;-)

In the eastern washington mountains it gets cold after the sun sets all year long.

Here too, on the high Central Oregon desert, of course, highbeam. It can be 90-something in the afternoon and just above (or even below) freezing in the early morning. The diurnal temperature variation is dramatic. Wasn't that way back in Northern Virginia summers, by any stretch. 90's day and maybe 70's night. Our A/C got a real workout, and I don't know how we could have lived without it. Out here in Oregon, we have no A/C. Rick

Just wanted to clarify that Tom (never met him but emailed back and forth) does not dislike Canadians at all and tells me he likes all of us from the Great White North. Even claims some kind of blood connection but am not sure I would be going public with that one (lol). I never meant to imply that in my above post and I do apologize if that is what I implied.
He is just trying to make sure that I support my local BC dealers for PE and I totally understand that.

Since Tom has never met me in person I plan to visit his store wearing a fake mustachio and looking at a T6.

cheers

It'll be worth the trip, Tom's store is first class. He and the crew are a nice bunch of folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.