I scored

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
Today I finally got my wood pile cover, some old steel roofing from an old barn for $5 a sheet. I know it wasnt free but this will be good for many years. I covered all of my oldest wood and most of my new. Concrete blocks and uglies to help hold it down. The I wood I burn this year will not see rain again.

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 126
next best thing to a woodshed.

great stacks.

Reactions: etiger2007
Very nice.

Well done. You'll be glad you did it as it works much better than tarps!

Sweet. Sometimes ya gotta pay a little to get what ya need.

You may want to drill a hole in the four corners and maybe even in the middle edge, so you can tie a thin rope and hang a concrete block.
If the wind is right it may blow right off even with some weight on the top.

Sweet. Sometimes ya gotta pay a little to get what ya need.

You may want to drill a hole in the four corners and maybe even in the middle edge, so you can tie a thin rope and hang a concrete block.
If the wind is right it may blow right off even with some weight on the top.

Thanks for the tip Mike I still have a few blocks left to use thanks to the previous home owner.

Very nice.
Dry wood when it rains, I like it ;)

Looking to do the same if I can find similar material.

That is awesome! I am always watching CL for cheap beat up sheet metal but people usually want darn near the price of new around here

If I were you, I would take a few galvanized or stainless steel drywall screws (around 1 1/2"), and screw the corners of your tin roof down to some of the splits. I do that with my tarps, and I've never lost any of them from wind. Maybe screw the roofing down every 4' along the lengths, and at all four corners.

Super and at $5, that is cheap. The last sheets of it that we got was relatively free. All I had to do was tear down an old building in one of our township's cemeterys. I got all the roofing and siding (wood) plus plenty of 2 x 4's. Had to haul them a whole 3 miles home. I keep eyeballing an old corn crib that a relative has. I should offer to tear it down for him. It is really small and some of the roofing is already bent out of shape badly from the wind. But, I really don't need it so have put it off. Some day though...

Super and at $5, that is cheap. The last sheets of it that we got was relatively free. All I had to do was tear down an old building in one of our township's cemeterys. I got all the roofing and siding (wood) plus plenty of 2 x 4's. Had to haul them a whole 3 miles home. I keep eyeballing an old corn crib that a relative has. I should offer to tear it down for him. It is really small and some of the roofing is already bent out of shape badly from the wind. But, I really don't need it so have put it off. Some day though...
Thats awsome Savage!

Thanks tiger. The township won by having it torn down and I got all the useable materials.

You cant beat that Savage. Savage you wood be proud, I just took down an Ash tree yesterday about 8 or 9 inches in diameter, not a big tree but lots of nice rounds out of this thing and it was in my side yard woods. Even though I have alot of wood Im not going to stop. Thanks!

Tiger, I think we have about a hundred or so of those size left to cut. I've left most of them while attacking the larger ash. Some may still go to waste but we've given away a lot of ash! It amazes me how much we've given away and still have plenty for ourselves. Danged bugs...

Each sheet will save you a lot more than $5 in aggravation when it stays on in the wind and you don't have pull it out of the woods ten times each winter as you would have to do with the tarps.

Status
Not open for further replies.