I sold my used VC Resolute Acclaim today.... (a little sad)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I sold my 1995 VC stove today. Kind of sad. My daughter is actually mad at me (she said she cried a little). BUT, on the upside, I got $450 for it. We agreed on $500 but I remembered that the secondary damper had burned off a part on the bypass damper "hinge". While he went to get the money at the bank, I remembered this and told him I was going to reduce the price by $50 because of the defect. The stove still works, but it's going to cost the new owner $50 for a secondary damper some time in the future. So, it cost me about $140 dollars per year to use. This doesn't include the $100- 200+ per year in new parts EVERY year. The new owner told me that he'll be a weekend user. Maybe it will only cost him $200 every 3 years?

Lots of good memories, but I'm happy to move on. So far, the new Woodstock is burning quite a bit less wood and keeping the house warmer, as Dennis promised it would! (Dennis, you don't remember promising this, but your many positive posts about the Fireview stove sort of made a binding contract with me. I took your positive comments as a promise)

I tried to explain the pluses of burning dry wood to the new owner, but think it fell on deaf ears. He is going to harvest some dead wood from his property to use this year. I hope he'll learn.

Congratulations. I'd be jumping for joy. The Acclaim is a pretty stove, but reduced wood consumption, refilling, maintenance, costs, etc. What's not to love?

Status
Not open for further replies.