I stole some wood at $100 a chord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
I could not believe this deal. The guy would sell you split oak for $50.00 for an 8' level bed on a pickup, you pick up. I asked him how much for my dump trailer, 5' x 8' x 3.5' deep, that's 140 cf. He said $100. I went over tonight and it is all nice split red and white oad. He even helped me load my trailer. A full cord for $100. He told me that now that he has set the price for my trailer, that I can buy as much as I want. This cord is for next year. I am thinking at that price, it is not worth my time to find wood on craigslist and have to cut and split myself, even if I like doing that work. just back the trailer up next to the pile and load up.

Since he did help me load, took up like 10 minuets, I did give him a tip. I am thinking of getting another 4 or 5 cords to cover me for the next 2 years. Only work is stacking the wood.

Hedge,Oak, and Hickory around here goes for about 100-110 a cord and 50 a rick we call a rick a heaping load of wood in a long bed truck trailer and it roughly is a little more than a rick usually. Still it sounds like a good deal from what I hear wood going for in the norther states. :coolsmile:

That's a great deal. Wish I had a trailer like that. With my pickup a chord would Bflat.

When you get a deal like that that’s when a good size shed comes in handy.

From what I've been reading on here that a very good price pinewoodburner if I were you I'd keep buying till it hurt. Right now that's the best investment you can make.

I wish I had a wood shed. It is high on my want list.
I could fill one up pretty easy with this deal.

Pinewoodburner, you don't need a wood shed.

I don't know how much room you have but I don't even stack my split wood anymore. I just pile it high on a pad of run a crush that's about 16'x40'. Sometime in oct/nov, weather dictating my this years wood gets framed with ash saplings and tented in with tarps...next years wood just gets tarped.

The tent is big enough to walk in with a wheelbarrow ...after awhile I'll have a lawn chair in there and burn a cigar and enjoy a glass of wine while it's wicked snowing...I just love it. This year I'm going to cobble up a Gambrel frame out of saplings and rope so I have more room by the sides.

Piling wood is the lazy mans HH but it seasons just as well the advantage is this is an 'incredible' time saver cause when I'm splitting I'm throwing my wood up on the pile...and that is it, DONE! When people come over it's always "WTF, that's an incredible wood pile" or some such comment.

Now my this years pile has to be 8' or higher...I dunno but you could never stack wood that high safely and it's all interlocked so wood slides are minimized.

That's a fantastic deal. Buy as much as you can handle.. you're not going to find anything better on craigslist.

Heck, buy more than you can possibly use, season it for a year (if you enjoy the stacking and stuff) and sell it next year for $300/cord yourself.

Buy it all. The 'money saved' over the years means you can buy the materials for a woodshed. The TIME saved means you can BUILD the woodshed.

I found a deal like that on craigslist and made 7 overloaded pickup runs in one evening just so that some other clown didn't beat me to it. Time is of the essence when the deal is excellent.

Sounds like a good deal pinewoodburner. Wood is different prices all over but when you know you are getting a good price you had better get all you want before they change their mind.

Adios Pantalones said:
I was going to say- $100 a chord... you got it for a song

:lol: Sheeew, right over the heads. I prefer my wood in D-minor-7th, for that mournful, yet somehow hopeful sound as it burns. Rick

Have a local landscaper-tree guy who’s letting me have rounds ( most cut to size) for $10 a 6 ft pick up load. And I have plenty of room . :)

If the wood's not rotten, go for it. That's a great deal.

BeGreen said:
If the wood's not rotten, go for it. That's a great deal.

Most of it is fresh cut,none rotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.