i think my paint is curing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyBravo

Oct 15, 2007
Calgary AB Can
just lit the first fire in my new stove. starting small (its hard after waiting this long). it reaks. i started with two 3" splits and some mahogany cutoffs. once this little fire dies down how long should i wait before i step it up? i would realy like to get this paint settled in.

Paint, gasket cement and such should 'cure' after one small fire, in about 2-3 hours.
I would let the stove cool down after this so everything can 'set', then you should be all set to run a nice moderate fire- getting the stove top up to 600- 700 degrees. After that fire, your set to let' er run.
All the best.

....what Wild said, but you are in for one more stinky burn.

JohnnyBravo said:
just lit the first fire in my new stove. starting small (its hard after waiting this long). it reaks. i started with two 3" splits and some mahogany cutoffs. once this little fire dies down how long should i wait before i step it up? i would realy like to get this paint settled in.

New stoves stink the first couple of fires, and to a lesser extent each time you reach a new high temp. You should let this fire burn out and the stove cool back down to about room temp, Then build back up another fire that is slightly bigger, and repeat until you have gotten up to your maximum temperature (w/o overfiring) letting it cool between each fire. You should get less stink each time, and be ready to go all out once you get to the peak temps.

It's not a bad idea to keep windows open for ventilation, especially the first couple of fires, the fumes aren't the best things in the world to be breathing.

Gooserider

thanks guys. just watching the las of the flames burn down. im going to get a thermometer tomorow. just kept it nice and small today. i think im going to get used of this thing. :)

always had a stove out at the cabin. old smoke dragon it was too much fun, ive been trying for years to get a stove here at home. cash and paperwork kept me away for some time, now im set.

Status
Not open for further replies.