I think my top plate thermo is junk.....Summit reading of 200-300??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
Seriously, I was reading Hogz thread and my thermo HAS to be junk.....cuz when it reads 250-300 its just crankin! It smells very very hot when it gets in that range. I dunno what brand it is or how old it is.......was a left over from our last house which came with and ol' Timberline. Now Im really curious how hot its really running.... I should probably install a probe but dont know how to and really would like to keep pipe clean looking. Maybe you can see thermo in this pic

Attachments

• finished 002.jpg
    finished 002.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 241
What you have there is an oven thermometer. It never will give you the temp of the top plate of that stove. Go to the hardware store and get a stove thermometer that lays flat on the stove.

DING! Breads done!

The first is the type of thermo that BroB is talkin' about.
The second is of a flue gas thermo. Most come with directions. Its a pretty simple "drill the hole"

What you have will NOT give an accurate stove top temp.

Attachments

• stove_thermometer.jpg
    stove_thermometer.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 3008-sm1.jpg
    3008-sm1.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.