I took the plunge - Granules LG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
Last year was my first season and I was fortunate enough to get 3 tons of Barefoot (hardwood) which for me seemed to work perfectly, very little fines, plenty of heat, and low ash - zero complaints. Of course I paid $244.00 per ton last year and this year if you can find them, they are a minimum of $299.00 per ton. Not trying to be cheap, but not waiting much longer as the prices are getting higher, I opted for the Granules LG (softwood).

Much has been said in these forums about the differences between hardwood and softwood pellets, and most opinions that I have read say that hardwood is preferred in a wood stove, but softwood is preferred in pellet stoves. Sure, there are some who would probably say that I made a big mistake with the LG's, but others will say otherwise. We all know that quality of pellets from any manufacturer will vary from week to week, month to month, so all I can hope is that I get a good lot.

Like anyone else, I'll find out for myself how well these LG's will burn for me. If anyone is interested, I got 4 tons from pelletsales @ $275.00 per ton with a fixed shipping price of $39.00 for any order up to 5 tons, free shipping for orders of 6 tons or more and I don't know how long their promotion is going to run.

We all have to do what we can to get what we hope are a good batch of pellets at a reasonable price. I'll make do with what I purchased and hope for the best. I hope that everyone here has good luck with pellets this year!!!

Steve

Shortstuff (Steve),

I think that you will be happy with both pelletsales and the LG's.

Give us an update in January.

Ranger

Sounds like we bought from the same 2 places 2 years in a row. I've got 2 tons of barefoots left to go with the 6 I just got of the LG's, so I'll be doing so comparisons this winter.

I burned 2-3 bags of LG last Fall and was very impressed.
Good heat and low ash.
Good luck!!

LG's were good pellets last year.. Had two 1.5 ton pallets which were made two months apart. Pellets from the first pallet were low ash and required scraping the burnpot everry two days and emptying the ash pan in my Austroflamm once a week. Pellets from the second pallet had slightly more ash than the first pallet (empty every 3-4 days), but never required scraping the burnpot.

I was warm. - Enjoy!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.