I was gonna buy a new saw eventually

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
So I just went ahead and got it today.

boss1.gif

The Poulan I got for free runs like, well, a cheap saw. I knew I'd be upgrading eventually. After looking at reviews and specs for different saws I kept coming back to the 290. This is just one of the expenses I planned for with my new house. Best to get it now before a tree falls across my driveway.
Depending on the weather, I might take it out monday for a test run.

Very nice. It sure is purdy. I was at my Stihl dealer yesterday picking up a spark plug, and I did go to the saw rack and look at the new ones. I don't need one, but you have to look anyways, right? Mine finally fired up after clearing the cylinder. Moral of my story-dump the old gas over 30 days old and use stabilizer.

Nice. Blow the air filter with a compressor after each use. Keep an eye on the flippy caps until ya get the hang of them. Best of luck.

I'd like to see some sales numbers on it, but that has got to be one of the best selling saws out there. I see them everywhere! I use my bro-in-laws sometimes and it works well. You will be pleased.

Stihl has by far the best dealer network that makes buying and owning a Stihl saw easy. Makes sense why most people migrate that way.

My old Farmboss just keeps on running. Very popular saw.

fishingpol said:
Very nice. It sure is purdy. I was at my Stihl dealer yesterday picking up a spark plug, and I did go to the saw rack and look at the new ones. I don't need one, but you have to look anyways, right? Mine finally fired up after clearing the cylinder. Moral of my story-dump the old gas over 30 days old and use stabilizer.

That is a good saw. I've had one for several years now.

fishingpol, I started the saw up yesterday to open up one of our lanes. Still had gas and oil from the last time it was used and that was probably last March. No problem at all. I did have stablizer in the gas too.

I cut 8-12 cord per year from 2002-last summer with a 290. All it ever did for me was run perfectly for 10 years.

Backwoods Savage said:
fishingpol said:

That is a good saw. I've had one for several years now.

fishingpol, I started the saw up yesterday to open up one of our lanes. Still had gas and oil from the last time it was used and that was probably last March. No problem at all. I did have stablizer in the gas too.

I usually do a bit of scrounging throughout the summer and would have had fresh gas, but it was skunk from sitting so long with no stabilizer. What a waste of 2 hours on a beautiful day. Lesson learned.

Good choice of saws. That was my first saw and its been a great saw to use. Good Luck.

I bought the same saw last spring after talking to guys at work and reading many recommendations on this site. After wearing out a cheap saw, I wanted a saw that would last for many years and handle at least a tri-axel of logs each year. I downed several trees with it and cut up a tri-axel of logs since then. If I had more money, I would've bought the next bigger saw but the Farm Boss ate the wood much faster than my old saw and ran great. If you don't already have several chains, it is worth the extra money to buy a few unless you can sharpen your own chains. I bought an electric chain sharpener (and a flat file for the depth gauges) since I am not skilled enough to hand file a chain and I didn't want to wait for my local dealer to sharpen my chains. It took some practice but I'm real happy with the results and always have one or two sharp chains ready to go. If you browse or search other threads for chain saws or ms 290, you will find many great tips for maintaining your saw (clean the air filter with each gas refill, flip the bar each time you change the chain, how to sharpen your own chains, when to change the spark plug and air filter, what type of chain to buy, how to modify the muffler to get more power - I didn't do this since my saw is still under warranty).

There is a hardware store around here that is huge (a Do It Center). 3 times a year they have a sale where you can get 20 percent of everything in the store. This is a great time to buy Stihl equipment since they never go on sale. I bought a top of the line Stihl 600 blower yesterday that goes for $490 and got $100 off. If anyone ever needs a Stihl saw I might have to ship one to someone or you might want to take a drive. 20 percent is quite a deal.

GolfandWoodNut said:
There is a hardware store around here that is huge (a Do It Center). 3 times a year they have a sale where you can get 20 percent of everything in the store. This is a great time to buy Stihl equipment since they never go on sale. I bought a top of the line Stihl 600 blower yesterday that goes for $490 and got $100 off. If anyone ever needs a Stihl saw I might have to ship one to someone or you might want to take a drive. 20 percent is quite a deal.

Depending on their buying bracket and the product, 20% off MSRP should put you within 0-4% over dealer invoice. Under invoice in some cases with entry level models. A very good deal indeed!

Nice saw
How much cutting did you get done with it so far?
New toy like that should only look that new for one picture :)

I'm taking it out in the morning. It's gassed up and ready. I still need to pick up some files for the chain. The dealer gave me one and I just noticed it's the wrong size.
I got OK sharpening the chain on my Poulan.

GolfandWoodNut said:

What's my price on a new 660 deliverd?

JamiePNW78 said:
I'm taking it out in the morning. It's gassed up and ready. I still need to pick up some files for the chain. The dealer gave me one and I just noticed it's the wrong size.
I got OK sharpening the chain on my Poulan.

What size file came with the saw?

I've learned that having a spare chain in the Saw Toolbox sometimes saves the day.
I've hit some strange stuff & putting on a new chain is a pretty quick fix.

Nice saw! Love them Stihls.

bogydave said:
I've learned that having a spare chain in the Saw Toolbox sometimes saves the day.
I've hit some strange stuff & putting on a new chain is a pretty quick fix.

+1 I always carry 2-3 chains in the cutting tool bag for each of my saws when I go out and cut.

One of the reasons I went with this saw is that I can use some of the extra bars and chains that my dad has for his old 032AV.
dualStihls.jpg

The weather sucked and the area was pretty picked-over, but we managed to fill his 3/4ton and fill my truck to the bed cover. It was a good first trip for the new saw.

firstcut.jpg

BossLoad2.jpg

Bigg_Redd said:

He gave me a 7/32. According to the book, my 3/8 chain should have a 13/64 file.

Bigg_Redd said:
JamiePNW78 said:
Bigg_Redd said:

He gave me a 7/32. According to the book, my 3/8 chain should have a 13/64 file.

Either will work. I prefer the 7/32.

+1 Nice pic's.......

Thanks for the file info! The dealer is super knowledgeable and the file appears to fit, so part of me wondered if the 7/32 might work. Good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.