I was told to never burn pine wood in the fireplace or wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those are monster trees, what species pine?

The big ones are Ponderosa. It's not the greatest firewood in terms of BTU/pound but its easily available around here. This was a standing dead tree I cut down last summer about 10min from my house, the biggest tree I've cut down yet. Had to come at it on both sides since my chainsaw bar is only 20".

Not sure if this link will work but its a video of me cutting it down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j7XEDHG6U1akwNMx9

i was told to never burn pine wood in the fireplace or wood stove
Fake News! I burn 90% pine. Im saving my Seasoned Oak for a snowy day. Never had a chimney fire. Most of the pine i burn has been drying for 50 to 100 years, so very dry.

There are many here on these forums that would gladly take any pine you might have, you know, just to get it out of your way. ;lol

Reactions: MissMac
The big ones are Ponderosa. It's not the greatest firewood in terms of BTU/pound but its easily available around here. This was a standing dead tree I cut down last summer about 10min from my house, the biggest tree I've cut down yet. Had to come at it on both sides since my chainsaw bar is only 20".

Not sure if this link will work but its a video of me cutting it down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j7XEDHG6U1akwNMx9
No video but a nice picture of that monster.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Old wives tale. So long as the firewood is under 20% moisture content you will not have any issues if your stove is operated properly and in good shape. I burn almost exclusively spruce and fir and have no issues.
100% in agreement with you ,great shoulder wood in my BK.

There are many here on these forums that would gladly take any pine you might have, you know, just to get it out of your way. ;lol
In my area, people think of pine as junk and will take it to the dump rather than try to find a person who will burn it. "Hardwood or nothing" is the thinking around here. I will take pine anytime I see it for free!

I do nothing to dissuade that myth. Nobody will burn it near me at the river, so plenty available. I get no creosote in that stove. I'm amused when these same people throw in "seasoned" oak from the prior summer. Their chimneys look like a steam locomotive, and you can't tell I'm even burning once the stove is warm.

I received a small lot of pretty straight-grained Southern White Pine from
a tree removal crew in my neighborhood. Very easy to split and seasoned
fast in about 6 months. I burn occasional sticks of it mixed in with my
usual hardwood assortment. Catches easily and burns fast and hot.
Great for reviving a fire that has died down. I'll take Pine when offered it,
also the local Tulip (Yellow) Poplar which is much denigrated but is
nonetheless very good stove chow. One mans trash, another man's
treasure...

Clutter

Reactions: SpaceBus
Do not burn pine !!
You must pack it on a large truck and deliver it to me
as soon as possible. I will dispose of it for you :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Cluttermagnet
Old Longleaf and Loblolly pine stumps are plentiful around here so I use light wood (fat wood) for starting fires. I don't burn pine otherwise because I have plenty of oak and hickory to burn that produce much better heat.

It's all heat to me.

Doesn't really matter if it's softwood or hardwood . . . to every species there is a time and place.

I think that the bad reputation for pine is due to the issue of the sap in the wood. Even really dry pine, the sap can "pop" and send embers fling. In an enclosed wood stove that is not a problem. But in old wood fire places, without a grate, flying burning embers were probably a very bad thing indeed. Especially with wood floors. So this story about pine may have real reasons, and may not be an old wives tale. But, again, in a modern stove, pine should not be much of a problem (even if I did have a mini-explosion yesterday using pine (15% moisture -- measured) which caused a "puff" of smoke out of the stove it was no big deal).

Personally, I only use some pine or other soft wood at startup. A great startup wood. But it burns too fast for me, and since I have plenty of hard wood trees, hard wood is my wood of choice. But that is just me. For those surrounded by pine or other soft woods -- what is local is usually the best wood to burn.

Last edited:
What do you think they burn out in the Rockies, sure there are some hardwoods but most PINE...

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
It's all heat to me.

Doesn't really matter if it's softwood or hardwood . . . to every species there is a time and place.
True. I cut and split all my wood. If given the choice, I want the best wood available and most btus for the time and effort it takes. Pine is way down on the list of desirable firewood but it obviously works well for others. Everybody's happy ; )

I burn Seasoned Oak and a lot of pine. Sometimes you just cant wait 2 to 3 YRs for the oak to dry. I burn the Pine during the day and the Oak for long overnight burns.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I burn Seasoned Oak and a lot of pine. Sometimes you just cant wait 2 to 3 YRs for the oak to dry. I burn the Pine during the day and the Oak for long overnight burns.
You burn yourself...!!!
How is that even possible???
You must be Groot...
[emoji23][emoji12][emoji3][emoji3][emoji12][emoji23]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk