I word regarding my locked thread (Suggestions for diverting vent soot from vinyl siding)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stripedbass

Apr 29, 2010
Boston
I just hope that if I discover a solution to my ventilation cap, that is different from what I was advised here, the people who run this forum will let me add a final post to my locked thread. Such openness will make this site stronger, not weaker.

I have done nothing reckless. I hired a licensed plumber who specializes in heating systems, and he tried to modify my ventilation cap. So far the only problem that has developed is the pilot being blown out when there are very strong winds outside. But even when this happens, my stove has a safety mechanism that quickly turns it off.

I came to America because this is a country that is not scared of new ideas. People like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and countless others became who they became because of asking questions and seeking new solutions.

I'm sure when Gates dropped out of Harvard University and Jobs dropped out of Reed College there were people who wrote them off.

Well, we all know who had the last laugh.

But don't get me wrong. I do not pretend to be at the level of Gates or Jobs. Far from that. I just claim inspiration from them.

Last edited:
At the risk of perpetuating a thread the moderators have chosen to lock, I'll add this. Note I'm not in the business, just an engineer who used to design gas stoves for a living.

You've continually ignored the pro's advice that your soot problem is caused by an incorrectly adjusted stove, not a vent cap problem. Since the stove was converted, it's most likely that the wrong conversion kit was used, or it was incorrectly installed. That may be part of why your pilot is going out, too.

The stove manufacturer tests and approves certain vent systems with their stove. Will others work? Possibly, even probably. But they can't afford to test every single one available, so they go with the ones most commonly available.

The vent system manufacturers do lots of testing, too. What they sell is what they've found to work. The vent system is a carefully designed system, not a random mix of different pieces. Airflow is not a simple science. If you (or your plumber) starts modifying it, you upset the airflow balance and it's not surprising that your pilot light is getting blown out. Furthermore, the modifications negate the careful testing that was done, and your installation is no longer to code or UL approved.

A plumber is not (unless he's had extra training) a gas stove technician. Nor is he an engineer qualified to modify a carefully designed and tested system. That's why there are building codes and manufacturer's installation instructions, to constrain work within limits of what is known to be safe. If a plumber screws up a water pipe joint, you get water in your basement. If he screws up a gas system, you might get soot or a blown out pilot, or you get CO2 poisoning or things go boom.

"No offense, Dave,"

well, offense is taken.
i'm not trying to sell you or anybody else anything thru this site.

look thru my posts, have you EVER seen me offer products to ANYONE on this site? NO!!

all i did was offer you free expert advice.
Done with that as far as you are concerned

Well, welcome to America.....

Do you know how many people per day tell us how we can make the site better by listening to them? A lot.

I'm sorry you didn't get the exact answer or treatment that you want. People here are volunteers and try to be helpful. But, in the end, it's an internet forum and that's about as far as it goes......

Status
Not open for further replies.