icc through foundation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMellmo

Nov 6, 2011
hi everyone!

i finaly received my Excel pipes for my harman XXV. The stove is in the basement and i'm now looking to install it.
the pipe will have to go through the whole foundation wall: concrete, 2 inches of foam insulation, lattice(sp?) and drywall.
Do i have to cut an 8 inches hole into the concrete to install the thimble through the whole wall or do i just cut 8 inches into the combustible material and then 5 inches to acomodate the pipe through the concrete?

I'm a bit lost on how to properly do the job.

concrete is non combustible, but I would think you would want a little wiggle room anyway.

well, you are still going through a combustible wall (the drywall), and, IMHO, you will need to thimble it. The concrete isnt combustible, but the drywall sure is, so you have to take the most conservative approach. Good luck!

SMellmo said:
hi everyone!

i finaly received my Excel pipes for my harman XXV. The stove is in the basement and i'm now looking to install it.
the pipe will have to go through the whole foundation wall: concrete, 2 inches of foam insulation, lattice(sp?) and drywall.
Do i have to cut an 8 inches hole into the concrete to install the thimble through the whole wall or do i just cut 8 inches into the combustible material and then 5 inches to acomodate the pipe through the concrete?

I'm a bit lost on how to properly do the job.

The thimble needs to go through the whole wall so that that both parts mate together and overlap however much the thimble manufacturer says they need to overlap.

You can build an extender if you need to or the manufacturer might have one if the thimble will not adjust to your application.

BTW, don't over think what you are doing and don't get clever. That always led me to trouble on do-it-yourself projects I tackled in the past.

Nice stove BTW, I am jealous. :)

the main problem actually is how will i drill the hole through concrete.
if i want to drill the 8inches hole through the concrete, i need to rent a column drill press which i will have to install some anchors into the concrete in order to be able to drill horizontaly instead of simply renting a diamond hole saw to drill 5-6 inches with a ''normal'' rotary hammer.

i want to make a clean job(especialy since the house is brand new).

I know i could just drill a couples of 1 inches holes around the perimeter of the big 8 inches hole and hammer/chisel it, but i'm not sure it's the best way to do it.

SMellmo said:
the main problem actually is how will i drill the hole through concrete.
if i want to drill the 8inches hole through the concrete, i need to rent a column drill press which i will have to install some anchors into the concrete in order to be able to drill horizontaly instead of simply renting a diamond hole saw to drill 5-6 inches with a ''normal'' rotary hammer.

i want to make a clean job(especialy since the house is brand new).

I know i could just drill a couples of 1 inches holes around the perimeter of the big 8 inches hole and hammer/chisel it, but i'm not sure it's the best way to do it.

I would drill lots of holes and then knock it out.

Not sure how tall your wall is but make sure it's ok to make a hole that big within xx inches of the top of the wall. (whatever code is)

When you make the whole make sure you don't go outside the areas the thimble will cover. I suppose you could always grout any mistakes but take your time.

In your case you are already starting to over think and may have to rent tools. Why not just call the contractor that built the house to see if he will send one of his guys out to open up the hole for you for a nominal fee?

I only had to go through Cinder Block, but I did what you said. I drilled several 3/4" holes with a masonry bit around the perimeter. Then used a chisel to make it nice and round. I did the same thing for my Woodstove install a couple months back. Only it was a much larger hole. Take you time a chisel lightly. Then use mortar or thin-set and fill it in. Im just sealing the plates. To make the pipe removal easy in the future. But if I were using an actual thimble, I would fill it with something.

Im using a "homemade" thimble because I am only going through the block. Just 2 plates that I drilled a hole through. Still have to paint them black. But I just made them last night. Hole dont look to bad if you take your time. Im installing a Fahrenheit furnace (there is a thread here/to lazy to post link) and its taking more time than I would like. But I am doing it right the 1st time, so there are no issues down the road.

Good luck. And post pics when your done.

Attachments

• hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 258
  • hole4.jpg
    hole4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 244
  • homemadethimble2.jpg
    homemadethimble2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 256
  • homemadethimble1.jpg
    homemadethimble1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 242
DONE!

CheckThisOut was right i was wayyyyyy overthinking about thethimble installation.
I went back and rented the normal rotary hammer with the 1 inch bit. i drilled about 15-20 holes around the perimeter and hammered the remains. It took about 1 hour to do the job. I just finished the whole installation. the stove is running its first bag and man, the smell of the stove burning for the first time is bad !

Pics will come later!

Thanks

Yep.... Drill the holes and take your time.. Great job.

Now take some pics. The Harman XXV is a Beautiful stove and we wanna see them..... ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.