Ice Storm of 1998

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is some video of the damage we had in 1998 in the North Country.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
The Moosehead area of Maine was spared most of the damage that was seen south of us but we did get some ice. In fact I went snowmobiling as soon as the storm was over and had great riding conditions.
Rode that 1998 sled for 3500 miles that year between there and Ft Kent.

I do have a great picture on the wall of a tree encased in ice with the sunlight. If I remember I'll take a picture of it.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Wow...freezing rain sucks. Reminds me of the 2007 ice storm here. We ended up with around two inches of ice and we were out of power for two weeks. I remember me and my father standing on the front porch counting the seconds between trees crashing in the woods like thunder. After it ended the winds picked up and that is what really added insult to injury. The whole countryside looked like a hurricane had blown through. Mother natures power is immense and these kind of things show just how insignificant and vulnerable man is. Hopefully no one sees one of these in a long time.

We were only on the generator for 28 days
But we do live in the sticks
The generator used 380$ worth of gas
Dam near destroyed my sugar bush.
still cleaning out damaged trees.

We were without power for 14 or so days. Well, I say "we", but I ended up going to the National Fire Academy on Day 3 or 4, leaving my poor wife back home alone with a generator . . . and a broken arm . . . which she ended up with after stumbling in the dark of the garage over the ATV plow I had not put away. And yes, she still reminds me of that fact! :)

You can often tell those who went through that experience and remember it well . . . those are the folks who you see buying gas for the generator and stocking up on essentials whenever significant icing is in the forecast.