Ice storm = opportunity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This last storm was a bummer and hard on the trees. But I am finding it has a silver lining. Tree and power crews are clearing roads and powerlines and have left some very nice remains. Driving by, I just scored a pickup load of locust left sitting by the roadside.I think tomorrow might be hardwood patrol time.

That's awesome! Not the ice, but the results! Great score!

It's allways good to make the best of a bad situation.

Strike while the iron is hot! Around here the scroungers are lined up behind the utility trucks it seems. I have left for work after a big storm and watched the utility guys working only to come home and it is hard to tell they were even there. Have to be on your game here in Mid-Michigan to get those type of scrounges!

Boy, those ice storms are bad. Don't wish them on anybody for firewood or anything else. Seems like I move wood so slow that storms, logging, land clearing, even in peoples yards there is too much of a rush to get it out, at least sometimes. I remember one time I had permission to get locust trees in a land clearing and it seems every time I could get over there I was in the way of the guy clearing or burning the brushpiles. But sometimes it works out great. One time I got 8 pickup loads of locust trees that had lined a guys asphalt drive way. A tree service had cut them down and the owner didn't want to pay to have them hauled off!!! No one watching you either as nobody was living in the house at the time. Took me about 4 weekends.

Make hay when the sun shines! The downed wood is the only good part of an ice storm. Well, the other part is that it is wonderful if it warms up enough to melt that danged ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.