ID this wood please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JamesGuido

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2021
Raymond, Wisconsin
found many pieces of this mixed in with my "All Oak Wood"
I like it, it's heavy, seems to burn very long, like oak...
I'm not complaining, never will. But i haven't an idea as to what it is.
Do You?

Thank you for your help & time!

woodUNKNOWN1.jpg
woodUNKNOWN2.jpg
woodUNKNOWN3.jpg
woodUNKNOWN4.jpg

Reactions: patrickk222
Also guess hickory

Reactions: JamesGuido
Hickory, mostly debarked. A little hard to process but it's a great burning wood!

That’s it! I’ll set aside a few with the higher mc for the smoker
I keep the scraps from when I split for my smoker. Have cut trees down and given to a friend with a commercial smoker. Can't beat the smell of burning hickory! It will pop in the stove and you have to be careful in a fireplace as it will throw embers out. Trees are pretty but the nuts are huge as they have a big hull like a black walnut. I've had them break a windshield when someone parked under one.

Hickory will sometimes have a darker center like that..

Hickory, mostly debarked. A little hard to process but it's a great burning wood!
stringy and hell to split with an ax?

i had a bunch of wood that looked like the OP’s first picture this year, but figured they were some kind of birch. i see the occasional shagbark on my walks…

stringy and hell to split with an ax?

i had a bunch of wood that looked like the OP’s first picture this year, but figured they were some kind of birch. i see the occasional shagbark on my walks…
It's dense when wet. Dulls chains faster than most wood, and need a sharp chain to cut. Splitting I have only done with a machine which I would say doesn't load more than oak. Upside is the tree is usually quite straight until the very top. Very high BTU content and good coaling, don't pass it up.